Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might be said,

"too much time on (my) hands"
- Never! -

"obsessive"
- Compulsive too? -

"never satisfied"
- Let's just say that there's always room for improvement. -

I took my 1/4 fairing off 'cause it just didn't look right. Maybe on a Kawasaki or an old Suzuki, but not on the Bonneville. Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone. The bike looked good without anything hovering over the headlamp, but I like the relief little fairings provide. So I set to work laying out pinstripe on the 1/4 fairing in an attempt to establish guidelines for trimming it down.

I'm anxious to do some final touch-ups then take it out for a spin. I may want to return those signals to their original position, cut them down, or replace them altogether. I'm anxious to see what the whole package looks like in the light of day.
Here's what it looked like before, and what it looks like after my late night cutting:

Well, gonna go crawl in bed now with one less project in my head toying with my sleep. I think I'm gonna be happy with the outcome of this one.....!

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-16 09:57 ]

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bonnieG,
That 'bulky' look was not at all becoming to the bike. When it warms up and I've had enough coffee..... think I'll take it for a spin to breakfast and see how well it protects from the sub 40's 'round here.

Oh yeah, there was something I didn't like about that fat Red stripe I put on my rims, so I applied a double Black over it. MUCH better now.
(gotta rejet the thing now......, gonna do breakfast first.):

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yeah Pat...getting rid of that much of the fairing and some of the red strip on the rims definitely means you gotta rejet... :-D :-D

Larry

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Don't forget to factor in the breakfast equation before re jetting ! cold cereal /fruit no re jet required....pancakes/sausage or bacon ...add a shim ,go up one step ......3 egg omelette or frittata ,toast or English...hmm now I"M hungry,gotta go! :-D

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Looking good! I am going to get the picture thing going this Xmas so I can show my bike.
I like the smaller fairing a lot. I took my Triumph one off but will prob put it back on---
Got a new laptop from my daughter and son in law for a Tuneboy (S-3) and other stuff.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Holly ***** Pat...I take a few months break from the forum, come back, and I'm looking at this shiny red cafe racer. Did you get another bike, or did you run out of options with the black motif?

That sure does look great! I took a similar approach with my 1/4 fairing, but didn't cut nearly as much as you. Maybe I should have...I ultimatly went with Omar's bikini fairing. I like the look of Omar's, but it's too small to offer any real wind protection. I'll bet your's holds up nice.

I wish I hadn't ditched my old one now.

Good job!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.....

Dr stineB,
I sold the BonnieBlack with it's 22,000 miles to a gal in Livermore; she LOVES it. And you can't go wrong with the Omar's, I just sold mine because I couldn't afford the expense of painting it to match my Red.... and in Black it didn't work. By the way, it provides waaaaay more protection than you can imagine.... as I found out when I took it off.

I bought this '05 standard Black with front-end damage.... hella cheap; It only had 380 miles on it. I had the frame 'blue printed' (better than factory now), a buddy offered to paint the body parts, I put some Excel alloys & Buchanan spokes on it, Thruxton tubes w/adjustable preload, single rate springs up front and Hagon Nitros with after-market springs in the back. Bought the seat cowl off ebay, the fairing from JC Whitney, and kept all my cool parts-is-parts from off the other bike. Then with a little work, repeated changes, switching things up, VOILÀ!

My inspiration to cut my Red down was as the result of a link that somebody provided with TONS-o-Café bike pic's. I saw this one and EUREKA, THAT'S IT!

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-16 12:25 ]

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Pat,

I've been staring lately at the very same Vincent, downloaded mucho pics, keep coming back to all the lovely things there are to appreciate about
that bike...

Big, big improvement with trimming the fairing... nice work!...can I make a suggestion / observation?

Any way to get the headlight to appear even further out relative to the fairing?

In other words, to my eye, the headlight looks like it's still too deeply down in the "tub" of the fairing (although hugely improved from where it was before) - look mo' betta if the headlight glass pretty much meets or is slightly forward of the outer headlamp contour of the fairing.

Not sure what if anything can be done about it with this particular fairing design. There sure is magic in getting the contours and leading edge surfaces of headlight and fairing to work together... if you study the pic of that Vincent prototype, where the fairing meets the headlight, the fairing is actually slighly behind the front of the headlight bezel - that's the sweet spot...

Here's a link with a close up of that lovely Vincent - great close up of the fairing there, check it out

a Vincent to die for

Cheers,

D9

·
Registered
913 Posts
Here's a link with a close up of that lovely Vincent - great close up of the fairing there, check it out
my god that's a beautiful bike.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THAT'S where I've seen that Vincent before! Isn't that the site with about three or four different models that can be had? Gotta love it..... them.

Yeah, I cut away as much as the inner headlight trim as I dared..... and as carefully as I could. When I tried to mount it this morning, my clearances with the brackets I had were my biggest limiting factor. I want, as seen on the Vincent, my headlamp bezel to be seen peeking outa the fairing. For the time being though it'll do; until I get an inkling for a tinkering.

I'm fighting with the jetting now, so I still haven't found out what kind of protection from the elements it offers. I'm sure it'll be juuuust fine.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Little by little, that bike is really coming along. The fairing has a bit of a Moto Guzzi look to match the black mufflers with chrome head-pipes. The tomato red paint gives it a Mediterranean flair, as well. Sort've a Thruxton alla Italiano...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sheepdog,
Did you know that Omar's Bikini style fairing was fashioned after the LeMans 850 fairing? I was reminded of that while I was cutting the 1/4 down.....

And you're in the same camp as a advertising/designer buddy of mine is. He said EXACTLY the same thing you just posted when he saw my bike, "Mediterranean with Italian color and flair" Interesting.

It's fun. I'm still rather partial to my olde BonnieBlack though. Kinda miss it. But this one has the GOOD STUFF!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts