Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say that with the excepting of tweaking my wrist and scuffing my right knee I walked away without a scratch. I was riding to work Friday afternoon and was hit by a truck. It was a six lane street, three lanes per side. I was in the far right lane and a pickup in the middle lane made an illegal right turn like he was going to pull into the parking lot to my right. I hit the brakes when I saw him come towards me but as he was breaking to make his turn I couldn't avoid him. I hit the truck a little in front of his rear right tire and basically slid along the length of the truck box. I tried to keep the bike upright but the trucks momentum had knocked the front of the bike too far to the side to recover putting me down on the left side of my bike. All in all the bike did pretty well, it still runs but I'll have it checked out at the dealer to make sure nothing internal got messed up. I do know my headlight bracket is broke and the rearview mirror got jacked up but I haven't took a closer look to see if anything else is scratched up yet or missing. I am glad I wasn't on a rocket as it could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my LGL55C using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The driver did stop, I called 911 to get a squad car there and two witnesses stopped to give their info to the officer. I figure I'll let my insurance company sort out the mess. They come Monday to check out my bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I became a statistic on Saturday. Unfortunately, it was my own fault. Lost traction with the rear tire while making a left hand turn. Layed it down. It was fine until it found the square curb. That's when the plastic went flying. It's not pretty. Gotta take it in and find out what all is wrecked and then hit up ebay. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
geez - i'm new here..but sorry to hear both your stories. i hope you were wearing gears enough to avoid any serious injury (i know randommech mentioned tweaked wrist and right knee). bikes are replaceable, you aren't. heal well and hope it doesn't hurt the pocket too much to get things going again.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm on the mend. My left thumb is still a bit gimpy but managable. Bike is still in the shop waiting on a few parts. So far the other guys insurance company has been pretty helpful. They sent me a check to cover the estimate the local dealership sent them and have answered any questions I've had. I just think they're happy I'm not trying to sue them. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my bike back today and will be installing my shiny new fender elim kit once I get it at the post office. Now all I have to do is get a custom decal of a dodge ram symbol with a line through it on the side of the tank and I'll be set:D
Hopefully I won't become an ace lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
These are some really useful tips, thank you!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All healed up and now I'm stuck waiting for spring. Hmmm, maybe it's time for some clubmans...:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I joined the "truck pulled out and hit me" club a couple of years ago. Going to work one morning, fogy and dark, witnesses said the truck pulled out from a side road in front of me (i have no memories of that day at all). Hospital for me, ticket for her. Broken leg and ribs, even broke bones in my face with my full-face helmet on. I'm really lucky. I was scared to ride for quite a while. I still get spooked sometimes when I see someone inching out from the side roads.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Saturday Night Statistic

Me and my Legend TT took a spill after I thought I'd give it the beans leaving my friends house to hear that Hinckley 3 roar. What a bad call.

It was 11pm at night and I hadn't planned on the wet grass of my friends yard mucking up the traction on my tires. Rear wheel spun out between 10-20mph while trying to get to 60-70mph, threw us both onto my right side (very quickly) and into the oncoming traffic lane. Fortunately it was late and the only car in the oncoming lane was 200 yards away. Still nursing some gnarly road rash.

Thank God I had my jacket and helmet and that oncoming car had enough time to see me go down and stop.

My Legend lost the following (nothing was salvageable): SpitFire windshield, right mirror, right turn signal and bracket, chrome on the right muffler and engine guard, and the right footpeg.

...and gained the following: A 3"wide/1/2" deep dent on the gas tank.

Learned that very expensive lesson. Be safe everyone.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Me and my Legend TT took a spill after I thought I'd give it the beans leaving my friends house to hear that Hinckley 3 roar. What a bad call.

It was 11pm at night and I hadn't planned on the wet grass of my friends yard mucking up the traction on my tires. Rear wheel spun out between 10-20mph while trying to get to 60-70mph, threw us both onto my right side (very quickly) and into the oncoming traffic lane. Fortunately it was late and the only car in the oncoming lane was 200 yards away. Still nursing some gnarly road rash.

Thank God I had my jacket and helmet and that oncoming car had enough time to see me go down and stop.

My Legend lost the following (nothing was salvageable): SpitFire windshield, right mirror, right turn signal and bracket, chrome on the right muffler and engine guard, and the right footpeg.

...and gained the following: A 3"wide/1/2" deep dent on the gas tank.

Learned that very expensive lesson. Be safe everyone.
Where is the "gnarly road rash" located? Would armoured/leather pants have helped? Or, was the rash above the waist?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It was above just above waist on my right side and on my right elbow. I was probably going anywhere between 10-20mph when I bit it, so it could have been much worse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts