Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever wanted to increase the air charge entering the intake plenum? It is easily done if your stock Triumph air filter has a flame arrester as part of the assembly. Just bin the arrester portion.
  • Get a new filter.
  • Drill out the pop rivets holding the frame together.
  • Remove the flame arrester.
  • Use the flame arrester as a pattern and cut a retainer from 1/4" hardware cloth.
  • Reassemble with the hardware cloth in place, using pop rivets with a washer under the tail end.​
I used the hardware cloth as a filter media support, but it is probably just as well without it. Your choice.

If you try this mod and do not like the results, it is a simple matter to reinstall the flame arrester. When I did mine, I violated the rule of making only one change at a time. I did several at things at the same time, and the bike runs better as a result, but I have no idea of the effects from each individual change. Maybe someone can try this and report back if there was any noticeable result.

Don't get much cheaper or easier than this.

2. Engine Side of New Stock Filter.jpg

5. Trimming To Size.jpg

6. Reassemble With  Pop Rivets.jpg

Notes: The flame arrester is the metal plate with the round holes. It is not included in the reassembly.
The less restrictive hardware cloth takes its place. Ergo more air flow with an effective filter.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I wish

I wish I had 1/3 of the time you do OnD LOL. Ok after looking at the pics 20 times and getting crossed eyed. Which part if the Flame Arrester? Is it the screen? call me middle age and dumb

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
I just dropped in a K&N for my free air! :D

But since I didn't take apart my stock filter, what is the purpose of riveting the flame arrester retainer back onto the air filter?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Once again, thank you OnD. I will definitely do this, only when it's time for a new filter. Or next spring when the dealer removes the tank.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The flame arrestor is a safety item there Sonic. It stops a backfire flame ball from getting into the airbox. FI bikes something like that would rarely happen but it is there anyway.

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts
My airbox is a different design and has a K & N - but would be most appreciative if you could save some of the free air, bottle it and send it on to me
I realize if enough of you do this, and each send me only a tiny fraction of your free air gain, I could have equivelant of a supercharger!

Question though - if it comes from Florida, will I have to densify it (by refrigeration for example) before installing on my bike?

Also - can I mix grades - like MI & FL without having to re-map my ECM? :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually considered a K&N then decided I would rather have a filter.

But you do bring up a good point re bottling the excess air for use in lala land. I could see where you would want that. Tell ya what, buy a case and you can send me your ECM and I'll load a special kick airse tune in it just for the price of the air alone.:p

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ond- You might try a version that's laid out on the screen's diagonal to see if it's more or less restrictive than one that lines up with the paper folds.:D

Seriously, nice mod. I don't have the stock filter anymore. Is the stock arrestor plate upstream or downstream of the element when its in the airbox? Is the papaer element only supported on one side by the arrestor, or is there screen on the other side also?

(Funny how there's a K&N banner displaying above the thread as I write this)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Nice idea........!!This may encourage me to take off the tank and inspect that K and N thingy I put under there some time ago........

You obviously have waaay too much free time on your hands..!!

One (small) criticism................<<<JOKE
Your measurements are ALL wrong................they should be in metric, this is an English (sic) bike, after all.................!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, yer right about that, but it was U.S. greenbacks that bought it. So I'll measure with inches for now. :D

I do have more time than money, but I did this back during my 12K maint. When I picked up the parts and saw that air filter, I though no way any self respecting gearhead is going to install a pasta strainer in their air box. It took about 15 minutes tops, and five of that was spent hunting for the right size anvil for the gun.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So now that you've removed the flame arrester is there now an opportunity for a single backfire to ignite the air filter and turn your bike into a fireball? I guess the arrester was put there for a reason.

I mention this as I had a VW Golf GTi that one morning backfired whilst starting and did exactly that. My Golf didn't have a flame arrester fitted by the manufacturer. As luck had it I had an extinguisher in the car and as soon as I saw smoke:eek: I quickly managed to get the fire out with it. The airbox had mostly melted and the paper filter was mainly ash with a little rubber trim around it. :(

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I suppose so.

However, consider the number of vehicles that have ever been on the road with filters that have never had a flame arrester in them.

As to my bike, the odds are greater that something more disastrous than an airbox conflagration could happen to it.

Considering the plenum design, I think an intake backfire would dislodge the resonator and affect the sound and proper running of the motor. To date, I have not read of a single instance of that occurring.

And yes, it was certainly put there for a purpose. Some of us just cannot succumb to the group think of leaving their machines alone. I've even heard of riders removing the warning decals. ;)

And,btw, not all stock filters come with them.

Wonder if those K&N filters have an arrester or use nonflammable oil? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
You are more likely to have a backfire that blows out your muffler than a backfire that blows up your intake.

2 different types of backfires depending on the timing but since that is eletronically controlled on these beauties then not much to worry about.

Its not like the old days of rotating your distributor to adjust ignition timing while holding your head back from the carb.

Lets just say I know that because of a 1975 Chevy Pick Up that I did extensive engine experimentation with, a Rochester 4 Barrel 650cfm Q-Jet and standard GM behind the carb HEI Ignition. I managed to keep my eyebrows...... barely.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts