Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Could anybody give me some info on the Intake temperature sensor, I have installed the freak kit and removed the air injection and replaced the resistor in the wiring harness the bike is running ok 09 EFI Speedmaster.
Does the Air temperature sensor need to be left on the bike or does the resistor compensate for it or will a tune boy cover it also.

Rgds

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
What resistor are you referring to?.

As for the IAT (intake temperature sensor), it needs to measure the temperature of the air ingested by the filters. Some have drilled the rear cover of one pod filter and fitted it there. Two holes are needed, one 7mm for the probe itself and another for a self-tapper to hold the thing.

Ensure no metal swarf remains inside the filter pleats.

Another way would be to find a sheltered spot between the filters and fix it there, but not where it'll get the full blast of the engine's heat.

If it gets heated by the engine the computer will weaken the mixture and even retard the ignition timing, losing some power.

This is the neatest installation I've seen:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
The resistor is the 50 ohm 10 watt under the fuel tank replacing the AI solenoid.
I have noticed that when taking off on the bike or just starting to put it under power it slightly misses a beat ? would the removal of the temperature sensor be a possible cause and should I replace it as I am also getting a tune boy for the bike. Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
The air intake sensor and the air injection solenoid are completely seperate, and are not related. If you have removed your AIT, you should probably re-install it, because as Forcheto stated, the ECM calls upon it to determine proper fueling and such. I'm not familliar with the FREAK system you mentioned, what is it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Freak airbox is a replacement for the stock air cleaner system it just changing to 2 K&N filters basically with a frame to hold covers etc.
I have now replaced the air intake sensor as Forchetto described and it has made a big difference to the bikes response, but it still has a small miss and strong on the gas fumes ? which would be the best a tune boy or just a tune up.
Rgds

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Have you also changed the exhaust for a freer-flowing type?. That, plus the airbox removal calls for re-mapping with a suitable map.

If you have a PC laptop study using TuneECU. It's free. If you don't fancy messing with the ECU then a good shop should be able to load a suitable map for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I have been down to see about a new exhaust system so maybe next week I can get that done, I have been on the Tune ECU site and having a look it maybe a bit beyond me but I will read up on it first. Thanks a heap for the advice guys I will let you know how it turns out when the exhaust and remapping are complete. Rgds

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
You can get a good read about it on this forum. Check out the website as well but there's some good write ups here for beginners:

TuneECU for diagnostics and tests only:

http://www.triumphrat.net/ecm-and-f...-diagnostic-software-for-efi-bonnevilles.html

This thread describes how it was then adapted for mapping as well:

http://www.triumphrat.net/ecm-and-f...4666-huge-news-tuneecu-now-for-efi-twins.html

Full procedure and a description of what's needed here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/ecm-and-fi-tuning-help-tips-and-tricks/141608-tuneecu.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts