Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys I'm going to wheels and waves again this year. Im Taking my misses we are going for 10 days. The first stop La Rochelle. Is it going to be better to just hit the motor ways on the way down to La Rochelle?
Then Back Roads form La Rochelle down the rest of the coast? Ive done France twice already but just wanted some advice is it worth doing the back roads in the north As its the first day?

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Depends on how much time you have, it can be slow going, farm equipment, horse crap, slow country drivers by may come upon some gorgious little spots and good food. France can be a real adventure as you know, once away from the larger cities, Auberge's all the way, pas de vine.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
We did St Nazaire to Caen last year and the roads are wonderful, smooth as a billiard table and not covered with 100's of silly signs as in Spain, for example. Just the minimum necessary.

Just before the entrance to a 800-metre tunnel going under the estuary near where I live, there are 37 sign posts at each end! bloody ludicrous and obvious that whoever is installing and making them is making a fortune. Like everything else around, just follow the money.

The excuse is always the same: It's the EU rules!. Funny, France is in the EU and their lovely roads are not planted with that amount of unsightly and largely ignored signs...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've never taken that precise route across country, but from the experience I do have of French roads I'd take the back roads, as long as you have time. I love the roads of Normandy and Brittany (south of Brittany I don't know the roads, unfortunately), and the scenery and amount of interest are superb, but you will pass through every single town and village, stuck behind tractors and who knows what else. But if you're not in a hurry, it's the way to do it IMHO.

Ody

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys we have 1 day to do 200 old miles so no problem really but the back roads do add a lot of time to the journey looking at the route.
We are in France for ten days so plenty of time really.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks Guys we have 1 day to do 200 old miles so no problem really but the back roads do add a lot of time to the journey looking at the route.
We are in France for ten days so plenty of time really.
toutes les routes sont belles.
évitez les autoroutes et les grandes villes.
vous trouverez de pe**** hôtels restaurants ou des gites -chambres chez l'habitant dans les villes de moyenne importances à des tarifs corrects.
utilisez les carte régionales ou ceci:
https://www.amazon.fr/100-virées-moto-France-Michelin/dp/2067181483
faites attention aux radars..ils sont de plus en plus nombreux.
également aux gens qui ne peuvent s'empêcher de téléphoner ou d'envoyer des mails en conduisant.
et profitez bien de votre séjour..0:)

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
there are 37 sign posts at each end! bloody ludicrous and obvious that whoever is installing and making them is making a fortune. Like everything else around, just follow the money.

Sounds even worse than the state of New York. Somebody in the highway department obviously has a relative in the sign making business.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks badgame :)

toutes les routes sont belles.
évitez les autoroutes et les grandes villes.
vous trouverez de pe**** hôtels restaurants ou des gites -chambres chez l'habitant dans les villes de moyenne importances à des tarifs corrects.
utilisez les carte régionales ou ceci:
https://www.amazon.fr/100-virées-moto-France-Michelin/dp/2067181483
faites attention aux radars..ils sont de plus en plus nombreux.
également aux gens qui ne peuvent s'empêcher de téléphoner ou d'envoyer des mails en conduisant.
et profitez bien de votre séjour..0:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts