Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What your thoughts on frame sliders? I’d like to have a set to hopefully protect the bike from tip-over damage.

Is there possibility of damage to the engine/frame from a solid jolt of the bike in a tip-over?

Thanks guys!

~Randy DTFR
Ride safe!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Cheap insurance!

Yes, there is a small possibility of breaking a motor mount, but any tipover/laydown is bound to ruin some plastic.

·
Registered
497 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion about the fear of frame damage here, but knowing that the search function isn't really intuitive here, I'll offer my 2 cents...

Frame sliders, especially the R&G style, are worth every dime. One drop will cost you more than the price of the sliders. If you do some searching you'll see that I had a pretty big off on my Sprint and the sliders TOTALLY saved the day, and the fairing. Cheap insurance for boo-boos. I think that there IS a possibility of frame damage, but I also think that it's pretty remote.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you ever want to see a clear demo of frame sliders being worth it, just take a look at SR1' s bike. If I had a 05+ ST I'd have his exact setup. Two R&G big sliders on each side and a spool in the axle. You could put bar sliders in but the bar ends will do the same job. The frame damage thing was on 99-04's I believe, and it was with a particular brand which I can't recall, something like Moko or Moto something.

IMO, they are good for low speed stuff. Might be OK for tracks with clear exit paths too, but on the street the faster you go the more damage you WILL get unless you have extremely good karma.

·
Registered
528 Posts
generally frame sliders tie into an engine mount on the the bike.and the are well worth every cent, I`ve seen some on e-bay which attach to the frame only and i wouldn`t touch those,I have sky kings on my RS, R&G on my wife`s tt600,andLSL on the thruxton.I plan them to be the first option on any future bikes too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts