Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi boys and girls,

Just (well maybe not) started work on a 68 TR6P.
Original side stand has been replaced, at sometime, with a manky old harley one. Having removed this all sorts of horrors have emerged.
Suffice to say I'm going to have to cut out a 4-5 inch section of the frame and replace.
Does anyone know the dimensions and wall thickness for this tubing? Can't get it from the other side as its a bit dented but appears sound.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for that.
Unfortunately, I've already got the replacement stand/lug. Just want to get pipe thats same spec for strength and tidiness!

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I measured a broken frame yesterday.The tube is 1-1/8" O.D. and 0.095" wall-thickness.
It's only "1020" plain-carbon steel seamless tube.1020 would classify as mild steel.

·
Registered
378 Posts
not to be a pest, NMTR6, but I hope you are just calling it "pipe"....tube is what you are going to use , right ? Pipe is about as reliable as tinfoil for strength, also its weldability is all over the map.....if you can't find the tube use some 1020 cold roll and have it drilled ...or better yet 1045 after doing a little annealing ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that Mr Pete, that's about what I figured, difficult to tell when the frames a bit dented!

Yes, i do mean tube David in KY. I've been in touch with a local welding company and they have all sorts of different tube.

However, my mate Anthony (the guy doing the welding) came up with a different solution yesterday. He cut out the thinned portion of the tube, cut a patch to fit (with a bolt temporarily welded to it) dropped it through the hole and then pulled it up flush and welded it all in. Did a nice neat job.

Just got to machine a new stand lug and we're away.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts