Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just for fun let's have a thread on frame colours :)

I can't really recall too many examples of anything else than black. NorthernThrux' comes to mind, with it's gorgeous nickelplated frame. But surely there must be others...

If you were to completely redo your Bonnie, would you choose any other colour than the stock black?
And what would that colour be?

Can anybody enlighten us about the history of Triumphs - any good examples of frames anything else than black? Were those factory colours, team colours, or custum builds?

Does anybody have any photos to share?

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I painted a Harley frame once white with blue pearl, then with hand painted barbed wire tangling around it. No pics though, sorry. It was before the advent of digital cameras. :(

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

A red frame will give you an extra 3 hp on the arse dyno. That red frame on that Thrux looks stunning.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
A proper bike is black. With a black frame and black seat.
It's boring and unimaginative but a proper bike is black.

That said, a nickel plated frame is not proper but it's sexy.
Sexy beats proper every time.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Psychadelic

Always wanted to build a chopper with Hendrix on the tank and purple frame and purple base too the rest of the bike. Damn those flashbacks!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have to say that I have fantasized many times about an all red frame on my Black Bonnie. I think though that I would have to paint the tank with 2-tone black and red and red stripes on the fenders for it to look correct.
Now that I have seen that picture I think red frame, silver tank, fenders & side covers with red pinstripe accents would look very racy.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the examples so far. Also the blue one, itreally works well with the white.

Anybody know of old-time examples??

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
That's one of my favorite motorcycles of all time.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
A proper bike is black. With a black frame and black seat.
It's boring and unimaginative but a proper bike is black.

That said, a nickel plated frame is not proper but it's sexy.
Sexy beats proper every time.
I went back and forth with 3 different paint jobs before settling on the nickle plated. It was ironically the cheapest by far ($100). So cheap and sexy !! Seeley Nortons were nickle plated...Sexy and Proper can coexist me thinks.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
I saw one of these at the IMS last year. Very nice:

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
I went back and forth with 3 different paint jobs before settling on the nickle plated. It was ironically the cheapest by far ($100). So cheap and sexy !! Seeley Nortons were nickle plated...Sexy and Proper can coexist me thinks.

How many hours do you figure it took? I'm amazed it was only $100 since it came out so well.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
How many hours do you figure it took? I'm amazed it was only $100 since it came out so well.
Remember that was after 2 hours of sandblasting by a me. But, yeah, that is all they charged me. Probably took them an hour. Its a big military facility with two dozen plating lines.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Why was it such a disaster?. I've seen the picture in another thread of yours and like it so much I'd like to copy it one day. I also love the rear hoop on the frame.

Rob
Airyarts in Wimborne painted the frame for me and he did a VERY bad job of it. I asked him to repaint the frame which he did just as badly. I ended up getting the frame powder coated. In the process of doing the frame Airyarts blasted the frame damaging the rear brake mounting bracket as well a as few threads on the frame.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That answered my question nicely :)

I think the colour was great, and would like to eventually do something similar.......I also like the BMW GS basic colours......the white with blue frame.........

I look forward to seeing the finished article

Cheers

Rob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts