Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that I'm missing a frame bolt up front. (Where you would mount crash bars). I'm glad I noticed today, because there was another one that worked itself loose and was about to fall out.

I'm guessing they just vibrated themselves out. Here's what I'd like to know. Where can I get them online? Or, what is the part number on those bolts, so I can research where to get them online?

I'd like to get one to replace the missing one. I can see if the triumph dealer has one, but that's at least an hour drive there and an hour home, and it's not at a place that I get by often. It could be months till I get down there again.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It's, like, 14" long. How could it possibly vibrate out and you not notice it?

/M

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I think he means the bolts that hold the detachable frame tubes. In that case they're M10 x 1.25 pitch x 35mm long Allen head bolts.

The part number is for a set of 8 bolts and it's T3050224 costing around £7 (USD 11.25). With the size and description above you could, of course, go to a local engineering supplier and get a single bolt much cheaper. Ensure they give you 1.25mm pitch thread, most ordinary M8 bolts on sale at hardware stores are 1.5mm pitch.

If it's not them, check the link below for frame item numbers:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/trium...r.php?block_01=&block_02=300956&block_03=3130

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These bolts defiantly are not 14 inches long. When I took my crash bars off they were like 6 inches tops. I believe they are listed as #10 on the worldoftriumph link.
There are two on each side in the front. I think I'll check a hardware store if I cannot buy just 1 or 2 because it looks like world of triumph wants to sell me 900 of them.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The part number and price Forchetto gives above is actually for a single bolt. The spec also seems to be M10 not M8. The 900 you refer to alludes to the bike's engine capacity, you don't get 900 bolts for £55.68, just a set of 8! If the bolt you want is about six inches long then it sounds more like item 6 on that diagram - SCREW, TORX, M12X1.25X130 - 130mm is just over 5". Does the one you have left have a Torx head? If that's the one it's part number T3334630 and costs about $10 plus tax.

Either go to a local fastener supplier with the one you have and get them to match it or give Baxter Cycle in Iowa a call and get them to post you one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took one out today to take it to the hardware store. It's actually only 2 inches in length from top to bottom... and an 8mm allen head bolt. There are two (one on top of another right underneath the front of the tank on each side of the bike. I'm sticking with my original thought that it's # 10 on the triumph world diagram. Either way as Forchetto mentioned earlier, I'll just take this one to the hardware store and have them match it.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I took one out today to take it to the hardware store. It's actually only 2 inches in length from top to bottom... and an 8mm allen head bolt. There are two (one on top of another right underneath the front of the tank on each side of the bike. I'm sticking with my original thought that it's # 10 on the triumph world diagram. Either way as Forchetto mentioned earlier, I'll just take this one to the hardware store and have them match it.
Item Number 10 are, as suggested in my post, the M10 bolts that hold the detachable frame members on. Note that the length of a bolt is quoted as from under the head to the end of the thread, not including the head, exception to this are countersunk-head bolts.

The hexagon head for an M10 bolt (10mm diameter) takes an 8mm allen key. One thing is the thread diameter, the other the allen head wrench size. These have to be done very tightly, the torque quoted is:

45Nm (33 Ft/lbs) for black bolts fitted up to VIN number 333839

40Nm (30 Ft/lbs) for silver bolts fitted after that VIN number.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good to know. I took it to the hardware store and you were exactly right. Fine 1.25 pitch x 10mm x35mm.

They didn't have any just like it in stock, but I found a pair of new ones on ebay shipped to my house for $4.99USD. :)

Thanks for all your help Forchetto... I appreciate the link especially.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, but I will take my chances and buy 2 Honda bolts for 5 dollars instead 1 Triumph bolt for 12 bucks. I won't loose any sleep over a grade 8 bolt sold by Honda rather then Triumph.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It depends. I used hardware store bolts for my passenger foot pegs and never really thought about it. I think I can trust a hardware stores nuts and bolts. Now if it were an actual part maybe I'd pay the big price up charge and get the one sold by Triumph.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I watched an episode of that Cafe Racers Series the other day when a wheel bearing collapsed... It made me wonder if getting approved parts over parts sourced elsewhere is money well spent. I've used nuts and bolts from the local store while modifying my scram, but just to hold on the mudguard or a battery box.

Just how important it really is I don't know, but I do enjoy peace of mind over saving a few quid.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
I noticed today that I'm missing a frame bolt up front. (Where you would mount crash bars). I'm glad I noticed today, because there was another one that worked itself loose and was about to fall out.

I'm guessing they just vibrated themselves out.
When I took my crash bars off...
When you took the crash bars off, did you put any Loctite on those bolts before tightening them down to spec?

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
My theory is, any bolt that holds the frame together, wheel on or handlebars on, gets loctite and tightened to spec. At a minimum, the blue stuff (medium strength).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts