Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the background. August had an off, left side down. No damage to engine, me ankle (broken) got in the way. The only damage to the bike seems to be a minor scuff to the paint on the bottom of the left fork leg.

Before this incident the bike handled fine. Since then the bike seems to want to steer to the left very easily whilst it seems 'normal' to the right.

I have checked the wheel alignment, taught string method, from front to back and whilst the steering was set at this I measured the distance from the center of the front axle to the frame on both sides. Every thing seems to be in perfect alignment and yet the bike still handles 'not right'.

I have even taken it to a large car park and with a bit of speed up, let go of the bars completely, it still runs a straight line. It's just as soon as you hint to go left it seems as though you have to fight to stop the head spinning that way.

Any one got any thoughts on what else to check before I dig a hole in me bank account by putting the bike into the dealers :confused:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I doubt seriously if you have damaged the frame any from your description of the unscheduled dismount. Sometimes the front fork alignment is disturbed when these things happen--check it closely. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yeah, the fork tubes probably wiggeled a bit. Think I'd loosen all up and check, maybe plop the tubes on a flat table and give a roll around, check the handle bar, etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Front end alignment

Not being an "engineer", here's my thought:
What you are experiencing when turning left is what I call front wheel "flop". It is a characteristic of chopper style bikes with the radically raked out front ends. They track just fine in a straight line, and around broad, sweeping turns, but are a real handful in parking lot situations!
Following that line of logic, I'd suspect that the left fork is farther forward than the right one, giving much the same effect as a small amount of countersteering.
To check for this, measure from the pinch bolt on the lower fork clamp to the center of the swing arm pivot point on each side.
You'll need to remove the front sprocket cover to access this point on the right side.
Turn the handlebars to equalize this measurement on both sides, and secure the front wheel from moving.
Now, measure from the center of the front axle to the swing arm pivot on both sides. Any difference in the measurements will show you if the fork is tweaked fore or aft.
Just some more free advice from someone else who has no idea what he's talking about! :)
Bob

Here's the background. August had an off, left side down. No damage to engine, me ankle (broken) got in the way. The only damage to the bike seems to be a minor scuff to the paint on the bottom of the left fork leg.

Before this incident the bike handled fine. Since then the bike seems to want to steer to the left very easily whilst it seems 'normal' to the right.

I have checked the wheel alignment, taught string method, from front to back and whilst the steering was set at this I measured the distance from the center of the front axle to the frame on both sides. Every thing seems to be in perfect alignment and yet the bike still handles 'not right'.

I have even taken it to a large car park and with a bit of speed up, let go of the bars completely, it still runs a straight line. It's just as soon as you hint to go left it seems as though you have to fight to stop the head spinning that way.

Any one got any thoughts on what else to check before I dig a hole in me bank account by putting the bike into the dealers :confused:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Align

Ditto on David! You may have bent the tube or it might need to be straitened out? Doenst sound bad. I dropped mine 3 weeks ago on the left- no dammage (besides my wrist). Ankle got spared because it already had a cast on it from a non M/C related incident! Also bent the shifter for the 2nd time. Did the pipe gig & its rite on. The clutch handle bent (again) straitenen the last time, but I am leaving it this time! It works better than it did stock! Pulls a bit under the grip which is more comfortable & gives it a bit more pull.I guess riding is out for a bit till the ankle is better? Could have been worse?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts