Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a A9780062 fuel tank protection bar kit on my ‘18 Tiger 800XRx Low
The instructions call for loosening and then tightening the “Frame Adjusters” to 3NM with a T3880103 tool.
Anybody:
Have one?
Know where I can borrow or buy one cheap?
Know if I can use some other tool - i.e. needle nose pliers 😳?
Thank you

·
Registered
219 Posts
Interesting, I was considering putting this same kit on my bike later this month or possibly using an aftermarket product. I looked at the install instructions and I didn't see much useful info in there on the tool but I looked it up and saw it on a parts diagram. Also, here is a thread where a guy made his own:
https://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/698506-taking-the-engine-off-to-bare-frame-2010-street-triple-3.html

You could probably make your own without TOO much trouble or you could buy the tool for 50-60 bucks plus shipping.

Unfortunately I haven't put the bars on myself so I can't tell you for sure if you really need the tool or not. Have you tried putting the kit on without the tool? Maybe you can massage the bars on without adjusting the position of the engine?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I was considering putting this same kit on my bike later this month or possibly using an aftermarket product. I looked at the install instructions and I didn't see much useful info in there on the tool but I looked it up and saw it on a parts diagram. Also, here is a thread where a guy made his own:
https://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/698506-taking-the-engine-off-to-bare-frame-2010-street-triple-3.html

You could probably make your own without TOO much trouble or you could buy the tool for 50-60 bucks plus shipping.

Unfortunately I haven't put the bars on myself so I can't tell you for sure if you really need the tool or not. Have you tried putting the kit on without the tool? Maybe you can massage the bars on without adjusting the position of the engine?
Thank you for that information. That thread is very helpful and I hope to get the info I need from it.
So far that tool looks like some (very, very old-style draglink) adjusters that I actually have in my toolbox.
Which brings me to my next question: Where In All That Is HOLY are those adjusters? I took about a 1/2 hour last night to look for them - no luck.
Just to make sure I’m not reinventing the mousetrap I’ll price my dealer’s installation - it may be worth having him do it. (I’m running out of time to start my trip to Alaska June 1

·
Registered
219 Posts
Looking at the picture in step 5 of the instructions, you can see the sight glass for checking your oil level. Notice the break lever is missing? If you look at your bike you will find the lower engine mount bolt. I'm fairly certain these adjusters are hidden once the lower engine mount bolt is in and you need to take it out to find them.

Additionally, I've attached a few pics I snapped from my Tiger 800 All Models Bible. Hopefully this helps you find those adjusters. Also, check your VIN number as your bike might not have them. It looks like it is possible your bike has shims instead of the adjusters but I don't know what model year that change was in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Whether there's a shim or an adjuster, the function of either is to take up the slack that exists between that part of the frame and the engine mount bosses. If there's too much clearance, the frame will be pinched/distorted at that mount point when the through-bolt is torqued to spec. After that, the adjuster is not going to move. IMHO, if your frame has an adjuster, just turn it until it touches and just a bit more (3 Nm is only about 27 in-lbs) to ensure that there is no clearance between it and the engine prior to reinstalling the through-bolt. You should be able to turn it with something in your toolbox, like needle nose pliers, snap-ring pliers, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed tank protectors on my Tiger 800XCA. I never could find the frame adjuster fitting that requires the special tool 3880103. (Which I have on the way from Britain but dont need now!). I also never loosened the Spindle nut. I was totally able to install these protectors using a T50 Torx bit, and 12 and 14mm sockets and a torque wrench. (p.s. 48nm = 35 ft-lbs, and 20nm = 15 ft-lbs).
My question: Did I miss a important step by ignoring these? Never needed to touch either one of these fittings !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update : I spoke with the maintenance tech where I bought my bike (Triumph San Diego - excellent dealer and service !), and he has got a number of calls on these bizarre instructions, and confirmed messing with the frame adjuster and spindle bolts is pointless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts