Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the Buell Lightning lower footpeg mod and wasn't happy with it. It felt flimsy, took a lot of modification, the brake-side footpeg wouldn't fold up, and the footpegs kinda sucked. But, having the extra inch of space definitely helped my legs (34" inseam).

I read a post on here that Yamaha FZ6 footpegs would fit on the Thrux, so when I found these, I thought I would try them out:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4714/762/

They fit great. They're not snug (especially on mine, since I had ground down the inside of the brackets a bit to fit the Buell pegs), but they stay firmly in place and don't wobble at all. To make the fit extra snug, I just put two washers on top of the footpeg mount and pushed the pin through them (you can see them in the pic below if you look hard).

They fold up cleanly and crisply on both sides. Best of all, the opening for the pin is exactly the same size, whereas the Buell had a much larger opening and you needed to find/make a bushing to fit between the pin and the footpeg if you wanted a good fit.

The best thing is that they're modular, so you can get the lowering arm in three different lengths, as well as have a choice of different footpegs. I went with the Mastergrip. The arm also fits into little detents so that you can rotate the arm around in eight positions. You can go down, up, forward, back, and points in between those.

Look here for a demonstration:

http://mfw-wolf.de/en/products/motorcycle-footrests/vario-mounting-brackets

Here they are mounted on my bike:

For now, I'm using the straight-down position for comfort. But, if I were to take it to the track or had a day of all-out high-speed twisties, I would move them back one position so that they were angled halfway between straight down and straight back.

Those are the 50mm arms, which are the longest ones; they come in two shorter lengths.

Not the cheapest option, but not terribly expensive for what you get and the options it gives you, and the quality seems superb. I've only done one ride with them, but I'm super happy with them. Tons better than both the stock pegs and the Buell pegs.

Just thought I would pass this along so others with long legs are aware of another option.

You could also use these to put the pegs not down at all, but just straight back to really be in a racer's crouch, but you would probably either need NBA-player-size feet or modifications to your foot levers to be able to brake and shift without difficulty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got back from sixty miles around the hills in anaheim and santiago canyon road, and my legs were in pain. Glad to find this post.

·
Registered
503 Posts
2001 Daytona 955i front pegs fit the Thruxton

A mate of mine has an 2001 Daytona, fitted his front pegs onto my Thruxton, a perfect fit, I suppose the Daytona MFW pegs # 051 07 03 00 woulkd be ideal for the Thruxton.

Cheers.............Agro

·
Registered
30 Posts
Those look really good, I'm gonna get some. Great find.

I checked out the UK dealer site and there were a number of Yamaha FZ6 models listed, are they all the same fit for the Thrux ?

Also they state that only the tapered foot rests fit with the vario mounting, but the pic of yours don't look tapered ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
So to make this work you need to purchase the mount, displacement arm, and the foot pegs? All three items?

·
Registered
79 Posts
These look like they would drag the ground just turning on a street ... probably really bad in the canyons ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So to make this work you need to purchase the mount, displacement arm, and the foot pegs? All three items?
You are correct. As I mentioned, not the cheapest option, but the modular construction allows you to choose among three different lengths of the arm, as well as different footpegs.

These look like they would drag the ground just turning on a street ... probably really bad in the canyons ?
No, not really. It could be that the downward angle of the picture is making them look lower than they really are. They're still higher and narrower than stock Bonnie pegs.

Under 'race sag,' the bottom of the peg is just over 10" off the ground, and the end is 12" offset from center of the tire. This gives a 'simple' lean angle* of just over 50º. (*I realize it will be less under real-world conditions, as the suspension will be compressed even further in high-speed turns, but that's still plenty of lean for me under regular street conditions.) But, as I mentioned in the OP, if you were to be in a situation where you really wanted to keel her over, you can easily rotate the peg back and up in the field and get even more clearance.

The set-up actually could be a great one for someone who wanted to use their Thrux as both a street bike and track bike, as you could purchase two lengths of arms. Using the long arms in the lowest position, you get a lot of extra comfort on the street. Then, at the track, it's just turning two bolts to change the arms and you could put the shortest arms on and put them in the rear-most position. This would actually give you a little more clearance than the stock pegs and give you even more of a racing position.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those look really good, I'm gonna get some. Great find.

I checked out the UK dealer site and there were a number of Yamaha FZ6 models listed, are they all the same fit for the Thrux ?

Also they state that only the tapered foot rests fit with the vario mounting, but the pic of yours don't look tapered ?
Sorry, missed this question. Been out of town on holiday for a week.

I don't know about different FZ6 models, but the ones I ordered are part # MFW.051.08.01.00 (that's the manufacturer's #, not the dealer's). Or, you could be the first one to field-test agro's info that the Daytona 955 pegs fit and get MFW.051.07.03.10. If you do the latter, please let us know!

The footpegs that should fit are the Master-Grip (which I have), the Race, and the Super-Grip (which are rubberized). They're not tapered, but rather cut-away on the underside to allow access to the allen bolt that attached the footpeg to the arm. It's needs to mount this way so that the footpeg can rotate 360º depending on which position the rider puts the displacement arm in.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi, Can you show a photo of the opposite side foot peg with the foot brake lever thanks.
I tried the Buell Lightning lower footpeg mod and wasn't happy with it. It felt flimsy, took a lot of modification, the brake-side footpeg wouldn't fold up, and the footpegs kinda sucked. But, having the extra inch of space definitely helped my legs (34" inseam).

I read a post on here that Yamaha FZ6 footpegs would fit on the Thrux, so when I found these, I thought I would try them out:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4714/762/

They fit great. They're not snug (especially on mine, since I had ground down the inside of the brackets a bit to fit the Buell pegs), but they stay firmly in place and don't wobble at all. To make the fit extra snug, I just put two washers on top of the footpeg mount and pushed the pin through them (you can see them in the pic below if you look hard).

They fold up cleanly and crisply on both sides. Best of all, the opening for the pin is exactly the same size, whereas the Buell had a much larger opening and you needed to find/make a bushing to fit between the pin and the footpeg if you wanted a good fit.

The best thing is that they're modular, so you can get the lowering arm in three different lengths, as well as have a choice of different footpegs. I went with the Mastergrip. The arm also fits into little detents so that you can rotate the arm around in eight positions. You can go down, up, forward, back, and points in between those.

Look here for a demonstration:

http://mfw-wolf.de/en/products/motorcycle-footrests/vario-mounting-brackets

Here they are mounted on my bike:

For now, I'm using the straight-down position for comfort. But, if I were to take it to the track or had a day of all-out high-speed twisties, I would move them back one position so that they were angled halfway between straight down and straight back.

Those are the 50mm arms, which are the longest ones; they come in two shorter lengths.

Not the cheapest option, but not terribly expensive for what you get and the options it gives you, and the quality seems superb. I've only done one ride with them, but I'm super happy with them. Tons better than both the stock pegs and the Buell pegs.

Just thought I would pass this along so others with long legs are aware of another option.

You could also use these to put the pegs not down at all, but just straight back to really be in a racer's crouch, but you would probably either need NBA-player-size feet or modifications to your foot levers to be able to brake and shift without difficulty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Question.
Does anyone have a measurement for the distance between the two footpeg mounts? I'm working on a new set of pegs in the shop and don't have my bike or any pegs with me to measure.
thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts