Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Uncle is looking at a 2001 Bonneville with less than 900 miles. The bike looks like it rolled off the assembly line yesterday. The seller wants $5,895.00. Is that an OK price?

Kem

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Too much for an older bike.It's still like new but that doesn't stop the calender and resale value.Some folks prefer the 01's because some of the castings are better and the color combinations are great ,chrome sides ,etc,.Find out if it has had the clutch fix for 01's.Sounds like a nice bike but see if he can get it for less .You can get a used bike with all the nice mods for less,sometimes much less.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm with M-Wagon on this one. It's (way) to much money.
Winter is here and there will be others wanting to sell their Bonnies.
just to give you an Idea here is one on Flea-Bay(not suggesting you buy it. Just a price comparison)
2001-Bonnie
and here is a link for the NADA page that shows the low and average values for a 2001 Bonnie.
NADA page
Show him the Nada page and offer $3K if it is stock/with the clutch fix.
You can do better. Keep looking.
Hell there was a 2005 S3 with all the goodies for $6k (7K miles)
Good luck

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Too pricy. Example - I purchased a really nice 2003 T100 in the fastest colors (Lucifer Orange and Silver) for $5500, from a dealer, and I could probably have done better. This included a Triumph windshield and sissy bar, both removed .... the sissy bar has since been sold, reducing the purchase price by another hundred and a half or so. The T had 4100 miles on her when purchased in December of 2005. I'd think a realistic price for a 2001 would be in the $3300-3700 range. And as Meatwagon mentioned, make sure the clutch fix has been done.

Bob

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I thought it seemed a little high, but I didn't know how Bonnevilles held their value. This bike is at a dealer, and he never drops.

Kem

·
Registered
495 Posts
before you turn you back completely - any mods? that stuff is not free and unless you are techy you gonna pay someone to do for you. look for tach kit, tor, knee pads, air filter, grab rail, centre stand. just to name a few. yes the price is on the high side but not out the roof. and maybe its correct.

·
Registered
505 Posts
How about this one in our local paper- 03 Bonneville, 87 miles ,$7995!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Kem
I don't know where these guys are coming from but,

900 miles in show room condition is worth min. $5,000.00
all day. Sure you may find one a little cheaper but, not
with 900 miles and in show rm. condition.
Bill

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill,

Thanks for the information. I think he's going to buy it because he got the OK from his wife. I know how that goes. If my wife said I could buy the Bonnie, it would be parked in my garage the next day. In fact, that's why I have a TBS right now. I got the head nod, so I wrote the check.

Kem

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I'll have to wait a couple more years before I get the head nod to buy another bike. I have to get her a new truck first.
Then I can add to the collection in my garage.
I am sure he will be very happy with his new Bonnie.
Bill

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Less than 900 miles or not 5895 is way over priced for that bike. Add to that financing etc...and your over 6500 bucks.

Unless he has some hangup about black bikes tell your uncle to check out a new bonneville black.

Also ask the dealer if he would pay 5895 for a 5 year old bike...

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
On 2006-11-26 19:08, SCCTrim wrote:
Less than 900 miles or not 5895 is way over priced for that bike. Add to that financing etc...and your over 6500 bucks.

Unless he has some hangup about black bikes tell your uncle to check out a new bonneville black.

Also ask the dealer if he would pay 5895 for a 5 year old bike...
Once out of the dealership, it's a 5 (or closer to 6) year old Bonneville. It only sold new for around $6995. Once 'off the lot' the trade in value will be somewhere around $3500. If you were spending my money, I'd ask you to keep looking.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
On 2006-11-26 17:16, stu wrote:
How about this one in our local paper- 03 Bonneville, 87 miles ,$7995!
It must be considered a collectable, at least by the seller. Maybe an ok price for a 1969 Bonnie with 87 miles, but not for one of our current rides. Where do these people come from?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He ended up buying the bike and loves it. Sometimes if you want something bad enough, you won't even question the price. When his wife gave him the OK, I'm sure he knew he'd better jump at the opportunity. He's wanted a Triumph since I bought mine last year. He just couldn't get his CFO to agree. Now he just has to find a buyer for his 2003 Sportster.

Kem

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have to admit 5,895.00 is or was a little steep.
But not outrageous I think 5,000,00 would of been more
reasonable. No where are you going to find a used Bonnie
with less then 900 miles still in show room condition for any
cheaper. I am sure he is and will be very happy with it.
And I wish him the best of luck with it.
Bill

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bill,

One good thing. Maybe I'll be able to get him to go riding with me now. He never wanted to on his Harley because he wanted a Triumph so bad. I guess I can't blame him for that.

Kem

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well good luck to both of you on your rides ;I hope he enjoys the bike!BTW they ALL cost 'too much' and are worth every penny. :-D
Take a picture and post it up!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts