Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted an initial design for custom forward pegs a couple weeks back. The much revised version is now complete and installed.

Here goes…

I wanted to try to tuck these babies in, so I did some experimenting with a broom handle. I liked this spot:

So I went to work drawing and cutting paper brackets, and finally came up with this plan: drawing linky
The engine mount bracket evolved some in metal. :)

cont…

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Had to do a bit of final grinding this morning. (please excuse the messy welds and sloppy paint) Here are the parts:

Mounting under way: (edit: just ignore the question mark)

Don't forget these:

cont…

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotta secure that exhaust:

5 minutes later, brackets installed:

Here they are:

cont…

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice job! I think the passenger pegs look good up there. Your gonna love them on long trips. I bet you saved some money making them yourself.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Three more:

Well, what do you folks think? Any good?

I think I'm going to like them. Takes only a couple of minutes to swap them around. I'll leave the brackets on the engine mount bolt, but I may install and remove the bars for a cleaner look or for a longer ride as needed. Not sure yet.

Now I need to go and ride it…

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice job! I think the passenger pegs look good up there. Your gonna love them on long trips. I bet you saved some money making them yourself.
Materials were only $20 or so. I did have to pick up a Dremel Tool this morning, but any task that requires a new tool is a task I like.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I know a lot of people don't like the look of the stock pegs, but I think using them helps them seem more integrated into the bike. Looks good!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know a lot of people don't like the look of the stock pegs, but I think using them helps them seem more integrated into the bike. Looks good!
I'll take a set of the passenger pegs off their hands. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
very nice work!!

i put over 1K on my bonnie a few weeks ago. those pegs would sure be nice on long trips...

please give us a ride report when you get back from your test outing!

again, nicely done.
nick

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Test outing was good. Everything was as expected. Can't say I'll use the pegs often but they'll be nice to have when I do need them.

that looks great. What's your inseam? How's the reach?
33"

They're at a comfortable distance for me. With instep resting on the peg there is a slight to moderate :)confused:) bend in the knee. I can also straighten the leg completely with my ankle resting on the peg. (don't think I'll be doing much of that though) They can be folded up or down easily and safely while underway, and they're nice and sturdy.

I'm not a fan of the look of any forward pegs, but I think these look about 10% better than average, and should provide some variety during an upcoming trip around Lake Michigan. (leaving on 5-22 if all goes as planned)

I'm picking up the youngest from school today, so I'm gonna go swap 'em to the back now. (who wants to sell their rear pegs cheap?) :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks Rick. That means a lot coming from a fabricator such as you.

goesinta?

I need to BEEF up the end of my sig line.

edit: Ahhhhh… I think I get it. The Goesinta. Goes into this, goes into that. :D

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
GeoDiablo -

Wow, excellent work! Well conceived & well executed... & using the stock
pegs really integrates everything - the whole show looks sturdy, stealthy and
very clean on a bike not easily graced with forward pegs - outstanding job!

Cheers,

D9

·
Registered
289 Posts
wow. if you assemble another kit, i'll send you the dough for it!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you D9, I really appreciate the kind words. This was the first thing I have ever made in steel. It did get a little hairy during the welding stage, (very rudimentary skills here) but it worked out ok and was fun to do.

wow. if you assemble another kit, i'll send you the dough for it!
Another one! Dunno about that. I had thoughts about this being a prototype for awhile but then I had to make those #@* brackets. If I could stamp 'em out or cut 'em on a waterjet I would make a dozen, but it was a bench grinder for me. At this point I'm thinking they're a "one-off".

I could prepare and e-mail a measured drawing in a pdf format though. The steel pipe, rod and fasteners I picked up at Lowe's.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Those look sweet.Nice job. Now,for the inevetible "maybe consider this",with the next generation,have the pegs fold back at a 45 degree angle to make it less awkward to kick them into position while in motion and to fold the rubber back against the engine case,like a functional slider,in case of a parking lot tip over?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those look sweet.Nice job. Now,for the inevetible "maybe consider this",with the next generation,have the pegs fold back at a 45 degree angle to make it less awkward to kick them into position while in motion and to fold the rubber back against the engine case,like a functional slider,in case of a parking lot tip over?
Where were you yesterday when I was welding? :D
Now I may have to make another set.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
How about a couple small,flat "cheaters" with new indexing holes drilled at 45* and pinned into the existing holes?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts