Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Newbie here

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and new to the triumph world. (so forgive my stupid questions, if any) Speaking of which... How do you adjust your clutch? Lol. (I just opened up the primary cover and checked my clutch plates) I have a 1977 750 Triumph power plant with a custom frame and accessories. Just wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction of a forum that I can learn more about this engine, and that can help me find after market parts to modernize/update this engine to a more reliable machine. I picked this bike up about a month ago and have rode it twice. It has a oil through the shifter shaft (primary cover), and somewhere on the bottom. I have heard a lot of positive and negative about Triumphs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
introduction

I guess a bit of an introduction is in order here and this looks like a good place to start. I've already made a few posts and have been stopping by quite regular. Learned to ride on my dads old harleys bought my first triumph, a 53 6T in 1960 and owned a least one triumph ever since. I bought my wife a new speedmaster a couple of years ago, really i just wanted to see if the new triumphs handled as good as the old ones so now i have the fever to resurrect some of the old triumphs i've had stashed in the garage for too many years. At present i have a 77 T140V, 66 T120TT, 2 71 bonnys, 66 TR6R, 70 T100C, and a 70 TR25W all in various stages of decay. So you can see i have my work cut out for me. But in the mean time i think i'm going to have to sell one of my harleys and buy a new bonne black. Cheers ya'all gearhead

·
Registered
21 Posts
Treatment of new guys

I am quite new to the site and have been treated very well by all, with lots of good info provided. I worry that I take lots of valuable stuff from the site and have nothing to give back at this point. Maybe that will change as time goes by. Also, as someone who is not very computer literate, and having never participated in a forum before, I worry that my lack of understanding of forum ettiquite and protocol may be inturpreted as rudeness. I hope not. I'm sure I will get better at the process. I do really appreciate all the time everyone takes to help out; all from nothing more than a desire to be helpful. Kindest regards, John A

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fair is fair

As a young guy who works with old timers on a regular basis (mostly law enforcement), I expect and appreciate the good-natured ribbing that comes when those with a lot of experience and knowledge interact with relatively clueless newbies. I think as someone getting into something new, if you're serious and committed, it's an essential experience to be made to realize that you really don't know a lick about it. As a brand-newbie to owning an old Triumph, let alone a motorcycle, I fall squarely in this category.
So fair is fair - when I ask stupid questions, which will likely be often at first, anyone willing to take the time to respond has the right to point out the stupidity of those questions. But I'm asking because I need the advice of someone more knowledgeable, and am eager to learn. So if you can throw in some insight with the ridicule, I'll be nothing but grateful.
And I don't even belong to any other sites, so either I get it here or I don't get it at all. And a big thanks to those of you willing to help out others through here, lots of respect for that.
Be well

·
Registered
86 Posts
Newbie 73

Tell us about your 73. I've owned a few of these and liked every one. Why do I keep selling them??? So I can get more....
Todd

·
Registered
5 Posts
73 tiger

hey Todd,
I just posted a short novel on my 73 in the Vintage, Veteran, and Classic forum, under the heading "73 Tiger acting up - maybe carb?"
(and have already gotten a couple of helpful response - big thanks to those guys)

I'm going to upload a couple of photos later on. I've had some fun with it the past couple of months, though at the moment we're experiencing some technical difficulties (described at length in the post I mention above).

I'm not the least bit deterred though - when it's on, it's really on, and worth the work and hassle.

Looking forward to getting to know it well.
any advice would be much appreciated.
be well

·
Registered
28 Posts
So, I bought my 77 T140 about a two months ago and surprisingly it was in really good shape. I had been around bikes growing up but hadnt ridden one in about 10-12 years. My first thought when I got it home was that I needed to put it in the shop to have it looked over, fluids changed, carbs cleaned, clutch adjusted ect. So, thats what I did. 500 dollars later I got my bike back. Started to ride it home and it wouldnt shift. Shut it off on the side of the road and wiggled some things. Went to start it back up and got nothing. Had power but she wouldnt fire. Tickled the carbs, and thats when I got really pissed. The floats stuck on both sides and I had to tap them to get the gas to stop pouring out. At this point I figured out that I had just gotten a 500 dollar oil change... My Bonnie has not been back to the shop and I have done all the work in my garage thanks to everyone here. I have had nothing but good experiences so far. I re-adjusted my clutch, re-did my carbs, replaced the rectifier and zenor with a sparx regulator and just have a couple more things to do, one of which is fix a stripped head bolt which scares the crap out of me to even think about trying to tackle myself...but hey, thats why I bought the bike. For what I spent on her originally is no where near the joy I get out of working on her..... Thank you all for all of your help and hopefully when I figure out what I am doing, I can return the favor.

T

·
Registered
32 Posts
One more point...

Please read the entire post before responding (whether as an advisor or a poster seeking more info).

I've seen time and again where posters haven't read a post (or don't seem to have read it thoroughly) before replying...

Also, it may be a good idea to re-read your own posts after sending them, just to make sure they sound the way you intended.

I've edited and re-edited almost everytime due to finding mistakes or discovering info that was unclear when I posted something and then read it again afterward...

Just saying...

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
This is a great forum and I have spent countless hours reading threads about models of bike I don't even own, just because the help, knowledge, and respect are so great. As far as getting crummy answers sometimes, ya gotta have elephant skin. Thanks for the great site!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's way past time for me to acknowledge that the Classic, Vintage & Veteran forum has been a first rate asset to erasing much of my ignorance about my T120RT. The responses have been very informed and polite.

I'm aware of other such forums but this one has been much more comfortable and educational. Keep up the great work folks.

Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
For the beginners.

Had the same issues on a sight for custom airbrushing. We created a thread for "1st timers". Experienced people at times talk over your head or assume you just know something. To them it's been common knowledge forever. Not a flaw just human nature. It's worked well and we found that some members were thrilled to have a place to share what they had learnt over the years and new members felt much more at ease asking questions. In the end the 1st timers started helping each other and the knowledge kept recycling itself. You may have this here already but if not it's worth looking into. Cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice to find a forum online where people don't use the fact that they are hiding behind a monitor, as an excuse to act like ignorant morons. Sadly the years are catching up with the old school bike mechanics, but their wisdom needs to be passed on to the next generations of bike enthusiasts.

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Nice to find a forum online where people don't use the fact that they are hiding behind a monitor, as an excuse to act like ignorant morons. Sadly the years are catching up with the old school bike mechanics, but their wisdom needs to be passed on to the next generations of bike enthusiasts.
I agree wholeheartedly. I am on nearly 20 different forums and facebook groups, and this one is definitely top 3 in class.

·
Registered
874 Posts
A bit off topic, but one thing I find a bit annoying is when someone goes to the trouble to post an in depth response to a question and then there is no reply. I think it would be helpful for everyone if the person asking the question would at least bother to post back whether the suggestion worked like a charm or was a complete crock. Just the simple words "thanks, it worked great" would go a long way towards encouraging more people to post replies.
Got to agree with Htown's comments here. In my case I find it REALLY FuRKING annoying when guys write up well thought out in depth responses to a first time poster & then you get back NOTHING & you NEVER hear from them again. Makes you feel like they sucked your guts for the info & then buggered off into the ether leaving no feedback for us to file away for maybe next time.
Apart from that, haven't seen too many flame wars in here compared to the other forums I've frequented over the past 15 years. This joint is quite tame in comparison :laugh2: Oh whoops, a grown man using an emoticon LOL :x:rofl

·
Registered
43 Posts
very well said all of you. I taught (Agri. Diesel mech.) for 30 yrs and learned quickly there is no such thing as a Stupid question, but NOT asking a simple question usually turned out to be an expensive mistake and in certain cases could have turned out deadly. that being said, to piggy back off of "SlowPocono" it helps to be specific and detailed with a question also. another big mistake (which I have been guilty of too) is not reviewing your question before posting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
my apologies to everyone who posted after pg, 1. my computer was running slow, I didn't realize there was more posts, I'm a newbie too and very computer illiterate, still learning how to negotiate my way through this website,

41 - 60 of 60 Posts