Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've recently had some problems with my 08 Speedy, but all due to my own stupidity (had to replace the oil pan, oh well). But finally got her back on the road and was enjoying my first real ride of the year when I started leaking oil from the right fork. Luckily the dealer was open on the holiday Friday, and the destination for my first ride of the year just happened to be the city where the shop is. I was 1 1/2 hours from home, but I was literally only a few miles away from the shop when I found the problem.

The dealer figured no biggie - they had new seals ready and the bike was scheduled for shop time the next morning. (Gave me a chance to visit friends for the night, though I had to invest in some new toiletries.) Unfortunately the work wasn't covered by warranty as fork seals can go, as I now know, with excessive wheelies (hard landings) and dust, etc. I thought the problem may have been related to me trailering the bike in the week earlier (to get the aforementioned oil pan replaced), but I followed all instructions to the T and the dealer said that wouldn't be the issue.

So I was on the line for some $20 seals and approximately 3 hours of shop labour... until I got some good news the following morning. After getting the forks apart, the mechanic said that the play between the inner tubes and outer tubes was excessive. Also, the dust seal was very loose and came out easy with a slight pull; not normal at all. The mechanic figured that the outer tubes had been machined too wide in diameter, which lead to a sloppy dust seal, oil seal, and the eventual leak. All that being said, they took brand new forks off an 09 on the showroom floor and put them on my bike. And all for FREE (man, I love that word). They're sending my forks back to Triumph to be looked at.

The mechanic said he wouldn't be surprised to see some more of these come in, as it'd be very unlikely for a problem like this to be isolated. So who knows, maybe I'm the first of many to get new forks. Hopefully not though, for everyone's sake.

(Oh, and of course I ended up spending the equivalent of the repairs on new gear prior to leaving the dealer, so I was still out the money in the end - I'm a sucker.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure you buy that mechanic a couple of beers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good luck. I hope the factory picks up the tab. My experience with warrantee issues has not been positive. The mechanic and service managers do what they can but the factory reps are dicks. I had warped rotors on my 2008 at 7k miles and they would not honor the warrantee even though they clearly were not blued from heat. So I ate +$650 and lost four weeks while the service manager tried to get Triumph to play ball. Am I pissed? Hell yes! This is a deal breaker for me. When the time comes, I won't be replacing S3 with a Triumph product. :mad:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good luck. I hope the factory picks up the tab. My experience with warrantee issues has not been positive. The mechanic and service managers do what they can but the factory reps are dicks. I had warped rotors on my 2008 at 7k miles and they would not honor the warrantee even though they clearly were not blued from heat. So I ate +$650 and lost four weeks while the service manager tried to get Triumph to play ball. Am I pissed? Hell yes! This is a deal breaker for me. When the time comes, I won't be replacing S3 with a Triumph product. :mad:
Here's hoping that the tattoo you have as an avatar is just something that you found off the net, and not something you have on your body then.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The tat is from my Bonneville days. Now that I'm pushing 50 years, I don't want a motorcycle that requires constant maintenance anymore. That is why I bought S3 new in 08.

So, if you bought a new automobile and four months later the brake rotors warped, would you be ok with that? I stand by what I said. Triumph customer warrantee focus is poor. :mad: and :mad:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Larry, sorry to hear about your experience. Good luck with whatever you choose to ride in the future, though of course it will never be as cool as the S3. ;-) Less impact on the wallet, perhaps, though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's so odd hearing these terrible stories about Triumph service. I've experienced problems at the dealer level but on the one occasion it has been escalated to Triumph North America, it was resolved without question.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The tat is from my Bonneville days. Now that I'm pushing 50 years, I don't want a motorcycle that requires constant maintenance anymore. That is why I bought S3 new in 08.

So, if you bought a new automobile and four months later the brake rotors warped, would you be ok with that? I stand by what I said. Triumph customer warrantee focus is poor. :mad: and :mad:
Well, I'm betting it's not a common problem, and brakes are a wear item. I've ruined brake rotors on all kinds of vehicles prematurely and it's been nothing but my fault.

Not saying it's your fault, but it's my job to handle warranties, so I can understand why the guys at Triumph were skeptical. I'm also betting any other brand would have handled the situation the same way.

I would have asked the dealer nicely for a little bit of a break on the price of the rotors and installed them myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts