Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to get some easy adjustability out of the Hagon progressive springs I fitted a while back,
I thought I'd try fitting the Thruxton adjustable fork caps to the Scrambler.

I purchased these from the local Triumph dealer:

Adjustable pre load cap (x2)............Part No T2049013
Disc washer, fork (x2)..................... Part No T2049019

The difference in caps shown here:

And here's how they look on the bike:

The Scram fork internal spacer, as originally fitted, is flush with the top of the fork tube when fully extended and is 235mm long.
From this I chopped 22mm off the length then the "disc washer" sits on top of this.
This now gives me +12mm/-5mm adjustability over the stock spring compression setting.
My initial playing around with the settings has proved that a quite substantial (9mm) increase in preload was necessary to get
the set-up within acceptable limits, which now gives a much more positive feel and a marked decrease in the "dive" under braking.
(I have 20w oil in there, which came with the springs)
No doubt there'll be more playing about to be done in the near future!!
BTW... The stock (unadjustable) spring compression gave an astounding 53mm of static sag!! WAY too much!!

Ive set static sag now at just under 40mm and, for those who havent done this before, I used the tried
and tested "cable tie" method (because Ive got no friends to help me measure while I sit on the bike!)

Like this:

Tape the gaitor out of the way.
Make a random pen mark on the fork stanchion (tube).
Secure a cable-tie to the stanchion.
Prop the bike up on centre stand/jack so the fork is fully extended and push the cable tie down to meet the fork seal.
Measure the distance from tie to mark (measurement A)
Now without touching the cable-tie, put the bike on the ground again and sit on it and raise your feet off the ground
(I know, this defies gravity, but a handy wall may help!)
Now get off bike and return it to the side/centre stand.
Measure cable-tie to mark again (measurement B)
(Best to do this a few times and average out the values)
Then remember to cut the cable-tie off and replace the gaitor!!

Measurement A - Measurement B = Static Sag = (in my case) 38mm

This setting also gives a Rider sag (the amount the spring compresses when you sit on the bike) of about 20mm which seems acceptable for my weight.

All in all another great improvement.
A pity Triumph cant do it from standard!

Now then, what shall I do for the rest of today..............?

V.

Reactions: Legend JJ

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Now then, what shall I do for the rest of today..............?
Nice write-up and pix to help explain. In regards to your question about how to fill out the rest of your day ..... go ride, and enjoy your new-found handling!

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Once again, good documentation (including pics) and a nice write up. Personally, I think you should treat yourself to a pint.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
.......how to fill out the rest of your day ..... go ride, and enjoy your new-found handling!
Personally, I think you should treat yourself to a pint.
Thanks chaps.
In fact I did both!!
Took the bike out for a blast on the twisties in the sunshine (yes, its sunny here in UK for a change!!) then found a very pleasant beer garden to sit and enjoy the moment.

I still cant get over the improvement that the adjusted suspension makes.
Not only has the ride over the lumps and bumps been improved immensely, but Ive also found that,
with the lessened diving on the brakes, the bike stays much more stable when entering and negotiating corners.
It feels much more planted due, I guess, to the lessened see-sawing as the front brake is released when entering the corner and then the throttle being applied.

It really has transformed the handling and is certainly worth the 74 GB Pounds that it cost.
More money well spent!!

V.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Ventura,

i did the same modifications to my scrambler when i switched from the stockparts to Wilbers shockabsorbers and forksprings. Adjusting preload, static sag to my needs was the best improvement to the bike...

cheers
gerardo

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Thanks chaps.
In fact I did both!!
Took the bike out for a blast on the twisties in the sunshine (yes, its sunny here in UK for a change!!) then found a very pleasant beer garden to sit and enjoy the moment.

I still cant get over the improvement that the adjusted suspension makes.
Not only has the ride over the lumps and bumps been improved immensely, but Ive also found that,
with the lessened diving on the brakes, the bike stays much more stable when entering and negotiating corners.
It feels much more planted due, I guess, to the lessened see-sawing as the front brake is released when entering the corner and then the throttle being applied.

It really has transformed the handling and is certainly worth the 74 GB Pounds that it cost.
More money well spent!!

V.
Great mod and great info. Thanks for sharing! Now that you have lived with it for a while, is there anything you would do differently? Have you found the amount you cut of the spacers gives you enough range for pre load adjustment?

Cheers,
Brett.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there anything you would do differently?
Have you found the amount you cut of the spacers gives you enough range for pre load adjustment?
Cheers Brett and thanks for the positive words.

You're right Ive done quite a few miles on the Scram since fitting the adjusters.

Im not sure Id have done anything differently other than maybe doing without the negative adjustability I'd factored in, as it turned out it wasn't really needed.
This would have meant cutting the stock spacer by only 17mm, giving 17mm of positive (compressive) adjustability.

In saying that tho, I've never adjusted them any more since the first set-up as per this thread.

Im still very pleased with the result and would certainly recommend it as a worth-while mod.

I guess the next logical step would be to maybe install the Ricor Intiminators in there too, but I'll leave that to others! :)

I'm happy as-is.

V.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts