Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have problems with forks seals going. I got mine replaced about 14k and now at 18 they seem to be gone again. Would that be down to a bad install job or the bumpy roads I am driving on. Any tips for when I get them doen again.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Most likely down to a bad job, or using cheap seals. Another possibility would be too much fork oil used.

Or, it could be caused by pitted or bent fork tubes.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Also keep the bugs cleaned off your tubes as they can take out the seals.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks when you say pitted tubes do you mean the actual forks or something inside the forks. WHen you say easy enough do I need any speical tools. Also what oil recommended to go back in?

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Thanks when you say pitted tubes do you mean the actual forks or something inside the forks. WHen you say easy enough do I need any speical tools. Also what oil recommended to go back in?
Pitting occurs on the outside of the tubes, basically it means pits have appeared in the chrome. You would be able to see them by eye. That's not an easy fix, it either means new tubes or having your old ones hard chromed and reground.

I used 15w in mine, I think the book calls for 10w20

·
Registered
77 Posts
I replaced the seals myself a while back, and it wasn't that bad. I was able to smooth out the pitted fork tubes with 2000 grit wet and dry paper. I posted a thread when I got done:
http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-...al-success-safe-lifting-w-o-center-stand.html
Three years later my forks are still dry. I put on the fork protectors (black plastic shields that stick up above the seals to protect the front of the fork tubes), and I believe they have helped.
Good luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to re hash this thread but I'm having a similar wear issue with my fork seals. I had them replaced back in March, genuine Triumph parts, since which time I've done 1700 miles. Now they're leaking again. The garage that did the work have agreed to do the work Free Of Charge... But they're asking for Fork Bushes(?) as well as the Seals.
Now I've replaced dust seals with oil seals on sports bikes, but never replacing the bushes too.
I still don't know why the oil seals failed as there's no pitting and the forks are straight. I'm wondering if the Triumph Gaiters are trapping moisture and road crap and therefore contributing to the very quick demise of my seals?
Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
I'm wondering if the Triumph Gaiters are trapping moisture and road crap and therefore contributing to the very quick demise of my seals?
Any thoughts?
With gaiters, the seals should last forever! My guess is that they were damaged when installed, or maybe overfilled.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They were the genuine triumph seals so they should have been fine. I might try and do them myself this time. In relation to the oil what is recommended 15w or 10w ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think the Haynes manual says 10w, but I know others on this board have gone with heavier weight oils for extra damping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts