Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to tear down my ST for my winter maintenance and have noticed a little weeping on my right fork seal, I was going to replace the fork oil anyways with 15w I think but am now thinking I should do both seals while I'm at it does anyone know if the seals are a standard size or do I have to go to triumph??? How hard is it to get the seals out without a puller? I was just going to use a large socket to drive the new ones in, but am not sure about pulling the old ones out would I be better off to take the fork lowers to a shop and have them pull the seals and put the new ones in??? Most of my riding is 2 up with my wife I'm 200lbs and she's 100lbs would 15w folk oil add any firmness to the ride? or maybe a larger pvc spacer, judging from the dust marks on the forks it looks like I may have come close to bottoming out once or twice....Any advice??

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Suncoast,

Do a search (be patient!) for other threads on front ends.

Short answer: 15W might be too harsh, adding preload (spacer) may do the trick. Correct answer may be stiffer springs.

If I'm not mistaken, you can pull the seals with the damper rods when you tear down the tubes. (I've done a bunch of tubes this way, just haven't done them on my ST.) Once you've removed the seal circlip and the damper rod bolt, you simply snatch the damper rod out like a slide hammer. After a couple shots, the seal should come out, and Bob's yer Uncle!

You can't, however, use a "large socket" to install the seal. The tube will be in the way. You'll either use a Seal Installation Tool, or use some other method.

The seals are not Triumph specific. I'm sure one of the "reg'lars" will chime in here with the correct size.

Good luck!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Can't remember off the top of my head but the seals are the same as 1200 Bandit, CBR929, one of the Blackbird models, several other Honda and Suzuki's. Getting them out isn't a problem. Putting new ones in can be done by using PVC. I use something a bit bigger than the fork tube and cut it length wise so there are two pieces. You can find a reducer or coupling that is real close then use the two pieces to bang in the seal using the coupling. Just be careful and make it even. As long as you are in there, you can do what I did and get the bushings from Race Tech and put them in. I use 10wt and really think 15wt is too heavy. The real answer is like the guys said, springs. I run HyperPro totally progressives and like them a lot. I highly recommend taking your time, pull the forks, disassemble them and flush them with kerosene or some light oil. You'll be surprised at how much ***** there will be inside them. You can also change the oil level from 145 down to maybe 125 mm which will reduce the air in the forks which will make them more solid too.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If it were me I'd upgrade your fork springs. The stock stuff is to soft for solo riding let alone two up. I'd recommend the 1.0 for two up.
SPRINGS

From my checking your seals are 43mm x 54mm x 11mm and any fork seal with those dimensions will work. Double check the size when you get one out to be sure. The size will be marked on the top of the seal or you can just measure it with a pair of calipers. Your tubes are definitely 43mm though. The low stiction (NOK) series are about $20.00 for a pair. Those are listed for Showa 43mm standard forks which are used on many models and brands.

Honda OEM# 91255-MG7-305 Yamaha OEM# 55Y-23145-00

FORK SEALS

Use Rodney's suggestions for installation. I also find running the oil level a little higher to my liking as well. I use standard 10W fork oil with the 1.0 springs. Don't forget to inspect your fork tubes for rock nicks that could cut the new seals. Get yourself an 'India Stone' from any machine shop supply (fine) to dress down any nicks.

BOLD = LINK

Man you gotta be fast around here! Two of you guys got in while I was finding links for this guy!

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2006-12-04 15:48 ]

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I'm looking at the hyper-pro site and spoke to a guy there he suggested the combi kit which is fork springs and a pretty purple shock spring :-D Has anyone bought this kit? $249.00 + $40.00 for shipping, the other option I'm looking at is the racetech 1.0 springs cheaper but I'd still need a spring for the rear? Does anyone other than Hyper-pro make replacement rear springs and how hard would they be to change?

·
Registered
924 Posts
$40 does sound a bit steep but it is more than 7 or 8 pounds. That rear spring is pretty hefty but there is also fork oil in the kit. You migh try a company called White Buffalo Racing out in California. They used to sell the Combi kit. Make real sure they send you the right spring for the shock too. They have a tendency to get RS and ST mixed up and they are totally different. Unless you have spring compressors in your garage that allow the pre-load adjuster to pass through it, you may want to look for someone who rebuilds shocks in your area, probably a dirt bike place. The drill is compress the spring, knock out a retaining pin, then take out a clip that holds the pre-load adjuster on, take the adjuster off, release the spring (slowly of course), put on the new spring, compress the spring, put the adjuster back on, put the clip back in, put the pin back in, release the spring and put it back on the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts