Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the black rubber-thingies called on the front forks immediately above and below the tube between the triple trees where the headlight brackets mount? Mine are in desperate need of replacement because they've turned to mush and are extremely gummy. How hard are they to come by and how hard are they to replace? Is this a do-it-yourself job, or is a mechanic needed to install them? My lower fork oil seals are fine, but these seals/gaskets/dampers/whatever gave way after strapping the bike down to a trailer with ratchet tie-down straps when I transported the bike home from Texas to Louisiana. Please excuse my ignorance, but any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you mean these...........

They are fork Gators.

Had mine replaced on my Legend last month - dealer fitted them same time as he did the seals and replaced the fork chrome. Need to remove the forks as they fit from the top down.......way beyond my skills.

(BTW Dealer used a pair from a Bonneville - not exactly a deliberate Mod, just the only ones he had in stock!....BTW not a photo of my bike!!).

Of course you could be talking about something else entirely........

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not those...I have brand new Bonneville gaitors installed on my T-bird as well...the parts that I am referring to are much higher up on the forks. If you look at the chrome tubes where the headlight brackets mount to the forks between the upper and lower triple trees, they are the (for lack of a better word) black rubber O-rings immediately above and below those tubes. I know a picture is worth a thousand words but hell if I know how to post pictures on here.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
They are rubber isolators for the headlight bracket sleeves. They dampen vibration to the headlight.

I am sure you can find them on BikeBandit.com... or most any Triumph dealer.

Not too difficult to replace, but you do have to pull the forks out of the triple trees. Careful of the bolts for the headlight brackets, as they break off easily.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Cafetbird, I'm still familiarizing myself with the lingo and the parts suppliers for the out-of-production Triumphs. Bike Bandit lists them with the parts for the headlight instead of with the parts for the forks: RUBBER,H,LIGHT MOUNTING TUBE #5575393-001. Probably why I missed them altogether. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
This is really interesting, KD - you guys say that the thing have the consistency of asphalt? The stock ones on my 1996 T-Bird are pretty firm but pliable rubber. I wonder if they changed the material on them at some point???

You might try checking the fiches to see if there are different part numbers for the earlier models...

Just beacuse these bikes are out of production doesn't mean the dealer can't get parts for them. Other than accessories, I have had no trouble getting the parts needed for my bike through the dealer.

Scot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts