Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my fork seals replaced about a year ago and they are leaking again. The staunchions are rust and chip free so I suspect the bushes are worn.

Does anyone know where I can order a kit of seals and both upper and lower bushes (in the UK)?

I'm going to have a go at doing it myself this time. (Garage that did them last year has closed down)

·
Registered
33 Posts
fk seals

Hope you find a source for seals /bushes.
I just paid £34. for seals and the top bush. before you do take forks out . loosen top nut only,on stenchion then there is a bolt in the bottom leg internal (allen screw head.)
undo that and drain oil out. easier. and then pull up and leg will pull seal out etc. take pictures on your phone on the way bits are assembled. then you can print them for referance for re-fitting.
you can them clean out lower leg out with paper towel etc so its clean ready fo new oil. any question can mail me a my mail address.
hope this is of some help.

martin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bone62.

I've done the forks on several other bikes in the past and agree about undoing the bolt at the bottom first.
The big problem is finding a supplier of both bushes (I've been told both need doing if the seals are shot). Loads of companies advertise seals but no one seems to do the bushes.
I prefer to order parts myself rather than ring a Triumph dealership hundreds of miles away and wait weeks for parts that never turn up and then find "Trevor left last week. What did you want?"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Well I no longer have a leaking fork.

I got hold of seals and top bushes last weekend.(bottom ones are apparently only available with new staunchions :confused:)
Stupidly I forgot to buy a bottle of fork oil and only had enough at home to do one leg. So the other leg will be done next week now.
When I slid the old seal out, (it came out so easily that I know I didn't do the damage in the pic) it was a mangled mess. Looks like the garage that put it in last year used a screw driver to drive it home.

Just goes to show that it's best to do the job yourself, then you know it's done right. (It's just finding the time in my case :rolleyes:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts