Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 77 TR7V. I'm just rebuilding the front end.

The parts list, lists 2 x "Abutment Ring" (which I thought was only available in bangkok - fnarr, fnarr), it shows the position of the top one between the top yoke and the bearing but doesn't show the position of the bottom one.

The Haynes Manual in the post 77 section, shows the bottom one between the steering head and the bearing, on top of the dust cover - which to me doesn't make a great deal of sense as it leaves the bearing proud of the steering head.

Needless to say when stripping down neither abutment ring was there.

How should it all go?

·
Registered
93 Posts
If its like the post '77 book I have. (Mines for a 1978 T140v...should be the same front end config) that section has a few typos. First off the item numbers 11 & 13 are flip-flopped. The two "abutment rings" are inside the neck and are the hard stop surfaces for the bearings to seat on...they most likely did not come out are still inside your neck. The abutment rings are bascially shims for the newer style bearings. So if you go to your exploded diagram and cross out 13 and replace it with 11 and then cross out 11 and replace it with 13 that will clear up the main problem. The second problem is that it states you need a quantity of 2 for each of these items...you only need TWO abutment rings inside your neck and just ONE dust cover that sits inbetween the top bearing and the yoke.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts