Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I would like to paint or powder coat my forks on my 06.
Now I've got some quotes from some guys but I am getting different opinions on what can and can't be done.
One guy saying only lower forks fan be done another saying only the top shroud but not the brackets they go through. Im sure ive seen pics with everything done. Has anybody done it? Just how much work is involved getting forks off, is that the drama?
Also is it ok to paint the plastic air filter covers?
Cheers

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I would think you could powder coat the fork lowers. Surface prep and blanking off the holes would be the biggest chore after disassembling the fork tubes. My cycle has not lived it's life in a garage and the fork lowers would not be good candidates for coating or painting due to surface condition. I have powder coated the upper & lower fork shrouds(fork tubes have to be removed to remove the shrouds). I have matte black ones in place now with some glossy black ones on the shelf. Removing the fork tubes is not a big job but you would need to lift the bike a good bit to get them out of the triple clamps.
The triple clamps likely could be done but taking them off is more challenging than the fork tubes.
Drama? Yes, I believe there would be some.
Plastic air filter covers? Have you replaced the chromed faux filter covers? The chromed ones can be coated or painted after proper surface prep.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Assuming you're not talking about the "cheese graters" because they're metal.
I've painted plastic parts and it comes out just fine.
08 America painted air box.jpg
airbox mod 1.jpg

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Thanks heaps for your reply, you wouldnt have a pic at all?
Lost most of my pictures with catastrophic hard drive failure late last year, that's a story for another day.
But here is a picture of the bike as it is now. I have coated a few bits like the fork shrouds, headlight bucket, fender rails, sprocket cover on the other side and DIY trunk bracket. Headers are painted and mufflers were black when purchased.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping to black out the lot as im nearly there but i could get by with the shrouds

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just did some paint job with normal car paint, you can find some photos in this thread. I will post photos when the bike is on the road again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just got the bike running, post below with pictures. The prep work takes hours if you have corrosion and varnish..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts