Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has come up before, but need some quick info from you guys.
I'll be replacing my fork springs this weekend, but don't know how much oil I will need...how far to fill the tube with oil...and what's the best brand (weight) I need to buy?

Thanks in advance,

Shorty

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I measured the level before i removed the old springs with a long rod. marked it, then upon install of the new ones measured again. It was now higher due to the closer coiled springs, so i just put the rod in and pulled it out a number of times measuring after each time. I'd pull it out quick so it would be well coated in oil then wipe it off. each insertion takes a bit of oil out with it. After 5 or 6 times the level was back where it was with the stock springs in it.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
The specs in the service manual recommend "KAYABA G10"
oil.
Oil level (fork fully compressed) 120mm below inner tube upper surface

Oil Volume (dry fill) 484cc

·
Registered
288 Posts

This is a motionpro tool. From looking at it, you can see just how easy it is to make your own, or something close enough to make life easy.

After you make the tool, overfill the fork tube with fork oil (like half a litre)...(I'd use Belray 15, but that's just me) and pump the stanchion up and down a few times to squeeze out air that will likely be trapped in the damper rod. You will be able to feel when the air is expelled. To set the level in your overfille fork tube (that level is measured with the fork fully collapsed and the spring removed BTW) use your handy-dandy homemade tool to measure 120mm (or whatever you want it to be) from the top of the fork tube and suck out the excess. Hope that is of some use.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts