Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching through related threads giving info on fork oil amounts, I decided that the correct amount of oil for my '06 Tiger was 682cc per leg with the oil level 107mm from the top of the tube fully compressed with springs removed. This seemed to be the general consensus. However, when I drained the oil, only about 560cc came out. Hmmm... I decided to put in 682cc and the reading from the top of the tube was 107mm. Any ideas why the discrepency in oil amounts. By the way, my forks knock more now with the new oil which is 15W. Is it the "extra" oil, or is it the 15W I put in that is creating the extra knocking, or something else. I understand most Tigers have fork knock?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I changed the oil last summer on my 05 model and on emptying out the old oil, I found there was 600 ml in each leg. I refilled with this quantity of 10W fok oil. All seems fine. I dont think the manual says how much oil should be in the 05 on models.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fork oil un-confused

Hello Folks,

I'm a long time "lurker", but this is the first time I've been compelled to join in.

The Triumph manual for the 05 onwards bikes states:

Up to VIN 198874, The oil level should be 107mm and 720cc of 10wt oil
After VIN 198875, The oil level should be 146mm and 655cc of 10wt oil
In both cases, this is with the springs removed and the folks fully compressed

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Even more confused!

After reading this I'm even more confused! I have an 06 (last of the 955i incarnations) and have just replaced the fork oil (using 10W).

The forks had not been opened for over two and a half years/16,000 miles, this was the first time the oil had been looked at and there was no sign of leakage. I very carefully measured the original level, first taking out the spacer tube, washer & spring then compressing the fork leg. The measurement was 168mm! (167 on one side & 169 on t'other). For an 06, this is way different from the figures stated above.

I have replaced the oil to a higher level (146mm) and look forward to a slight increase in damping....but I did not have a problem with my 'incorrect' level up until now! It is surprising how little extra oil can increase the level too. From reading all the posts it appears that the fork oil level & viscosity choices cause more confusion than any other maintenance tasks on the Tiger.

Oh well, suck it and see!

Jon

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
After reading this I'm even more confused! I have an 06 (last of the 955i incarnations) and have just replaced the fork oil (using 10W).

The forks had not been opened for over two and a half years/16,000 miles, this was the first time the oil had been looked at and there was no sign of leakage.

Jon
the fork oil should have been changed at the 12.000ml service !! when you pull the springs out they will be covered with oil so the level will be a bit lower. suspention is a very individual thing, what works for A, might not work for B. different strokes for different folks !!

KK

ps ive done the 1/2" inch spacer with 50% 10w, 50% 15w oil mix, i like it so far !!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Slightly off topic, but it's related!

When changing the fork oil, what have you folks done to get the front wheel off the ground? There doesnt seem to be an easy and stable way of lifting it in the air by jacking under the engine.

I did think of ratchet straps to hold the back end down to eylets in the floor. Bearing in mind I dont have a huge garage with room for a proper bike lift, any inputs appreceated.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just use a bit of 4"x2" timber wedged between the luggage rack and the roof of my shed to lift the front, remove front wheel, replace the axle then let it down on to an axle stand. :)

This method does of course assume you have a centrestand fitted, and BTW, don't tell the Fun Police.:rolleyes:

Andy.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I have replaced the oil to a higher level (146mm) and look forward to a slight increase in damping...
The higher oil level will not increase the damping. That is determined by the oil viscosity. The air trapped at the top of the forks acts as a spring as the air is compressed and assists the steel springs. So, the smaller the gap the greater the assist.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The higher oil level will not increase the damping. That is determined by the oil viscosity. The air trapped at the top of the forks acts as a spring as the air is compressed and assists the steel springs. So, the smaller the gap the greater the assist.
Good point, Blacktiger. I think I meant 'firmness'...although I would still expect the effect to be very slight. I'll find out today as she was finally put back together last night.

Jon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts