Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 TR6R which Im told is the same as the 120R except for the single carb. My forks are in bad shape and there is a set on ebay listing 180986372897

Will this fit on my 69 bike? From the bulletins I have the steering damper is used on the TR6C only? So I'm wondering if I get this I could possibly swap out the steering lug and stem? From what I can see the 68 and 69 models are identical in this area, in fact I don;t see a steering damper on a T120 68/69 model?

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
I'll bet that they will fit
I'd go to an online parts site (Bid D)

and research the similarities.

The frame will be the same - so the stem would fit.

I may be wrong but it's worth a look

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
You are correct. The damper was used on the "C" models only, as a standard part. It was an option on the "R" models. I added one on my '70 Tiger 650...........it just looks the part on a British twin. A parts manual will show you the bits, although there is a tiny set screw that goes into the side of the lower triple clamp that I can't find in my parts book; the lower triple clamp should be drilled and tapped for it, as mine was.

Hope this helps: Jim

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Shame you couldn't put a link to the ebay advertisement.Never have much luck tracking down ebay numbers.
'68 forks have 6-1/2" stanchion centre distance (1/4" narrower yokes and shorter axle).The right side slider has a shorter brake anchor lug to reach the brake plate.Threads on stanchions will be 26 tpi if stanchions are original,not 28tpi UNF as '69/'70 model.Thread on steering stem is different too.
You can use the stanchions;don't use the wrong nuts.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seller removed from Ebay! I guess I'll rebuild the ones I have. Is there a kit version of parts required? I have the lower forks but everything else is shot, rusted or non-genuine. I do have the two lugs. Looking for an easier way than ordering 20 individual items

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
as you say, you have some bits - 2 or 4 - so any "kit" would probably have had them anyway.

It's not a problem, just find a parts catalogue and make a list of everything - apart from what you have. Then ring up and wangle the largest discount that you can.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have priced out the parts I need - I thought by reclaiming the lower stanchions I would save alot of money but it still comes out to around $700.00 The lower stanchions I have are chrome, all pics I have seen of a 69 TR6R have black lowers stanchions. So before I spend all kinds of money I'd like to know if they are the originals

·
Super Moderator
12,577 Posts
There are good complete sets of Triumph big twin forks on e-bay EVERY WEEK. Don't get overly anxious and you'll win a set soon enough www.ezsniper.com helps...

I've supplied over a dozen people with complete sets of new high quality stanchions, seals, bushings & gaiters for under $350.

Original fork lower tubes are Black in color.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts