Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what years of forks will fit on a 1970 T-120r triple trees! im kinda wanting to put disc brakes on it if its possible not worried about mix matching years just want the best performance i can get!!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I don't think the 68-70 forks will accept disc brakes without some manufacturing of brackets and adapters. Does anyone know if the later "disc brake" forks will fit in the trees/stem?

·
Super Moderator
13,267 Posts
I never said the 68-70 forks would work with disc brakes, although ANYTHING can be made to work with anything else if you have some ingenuity, decent tools, and materials to work with!

Basically, I answered the first question about what fits the "triple trees". easier solution is buy an entire disc brake front end INCLUDING the yokes and pop it straight in with the appropriate bearings.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The standard Twin L/S brake as fitted to 69/70 yr bikes was just about the best front brake Meriden ever fitted unless you went to the twin disc option of the T140 range. The twin L/S design stopped as well as the single disc and had more "feel". Just make sure you have the best modern brake linings and modern tyres, the brake set up correctly and you will have a surprisingly good brake.

If you do intend going for a disc setup, Triumph did build a small batch of disc braked T100R which were intended as a 500cc version of the T140 and were referred to as the T100D. Believe these used the standard T100 frame (non-OIF) with the T140 forks so the match should be possible

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I was talking to another Brit bike friend the other day about the Twin LS brakes on 69/70 bikes. He said somebody makes or maybe made is now appropriate, a more rigid backing plate for the shoes that gave improved braking. Anyone know about that aftermarket backing plate and if it is still available?
regards,
Rob

·
Registered
625 Posts
Definitely go with Vintage Brake. In fact, if you can go without vital parts long enough, or suffer through the season and then send stuff off to them, let them do everything. The non-conical 2LS front brake setup has tons of potential and they can make it amazing. In fact, maybe have them do the rear while you're at it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I recall Mastiffman had some disc brake front forks, fender and yokes for sale a while back. Check with him to see if he still has them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts