Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been trying to find the right set of fork boots (gaters) to put on my 01 Adventurer. Looking through the "Lets see those tripples" post and I noticed how well the boots fit on Texas Tri's TBS. Could Texas Tri or someone tell me which ones fit? And where to find them? I'm looking online at several types, for early bonnies, 67-72 Trophy's, etc... Just not sure which will fit the best. Tip please.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ecrabbit96,

I have had the new Bonneville fork gaiters fitted to my 97 Thunderbird, and look very good indeed - should save on the number of fork seal replacements...

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just recieved the
Super Gaiters from BellaCourse. I'm asking for a little advise on the installation. I' ve read the excellent instructions that came with the gaiters and going by the Triumph service manual. I have never attempted fork removal on my '99 Legend.

Right now I'm at: wheel, brake caliper, fender off the bike. My question is, do I need to remove the headlight and brakets? It says nothing about doing this in either instuctions. I should be able to loosen the yoke nuts and gently slide each fok out, correct?

Thanks for any advice.

Tom

·
Registered
363 Posts
You do not need to remove the headlight or brackets.
Remove one fork leg at a time in order to keep the headlight supported.

Make sure to torque all bolts properly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should also note where the top of the fork tube is in relationship to the yoke. When your done they should be close to that location and more importantly even. I put mine so the cap is all the way through and you can just see the fork tube top. Bolt in your fender but leave it loose. Assemble the front wheel, get everthing tight then align your fender and tighten. Nothing should require any amount of force to assemble, so if its not just fitting perfectly look at the job and see what you overlooked, ie. the speedo cage. Be sure the notches meet the ears, otherwise you will crush this unit when you torque the axle.

[ This message was edited by: ecrabbit96 on 2006-12-12 13:08 ]

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are due to arrive this week, as soon as I get them on I will post another pic of my baby. I am also waiting for a quarter fairing which I'm hoping will just take me over the top. My girlfriend thinks I should just put a cot in the garage. Not a bad idea, but will she bring me food? More importantly, will she still change my oil?????

·
Registered
167 Posts
Got them installed, no problems. I'll get some photos during the day later. Thanks for the tips from everyone.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Tommybro,
very nice, I don't see many of the Red Legends around. All you need now is some decent riding weather. Is supposed to be 75 here today.

Merry Christmas to all, or Happy Holidays as the case may be.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Make sure you align the fork tubes. Typically you loosen the top pinch bolts, stand the bike upright & straight ahead, then pump the front end (with the brakes on), taking care to not move the handlebars or front tire left or right. After three or 6 pumps (just several) you gingerly stop pumping (meaning keep it all straight), then tighten the pinch bolts (it might help to have someone hold the bike upright or to tighten the bolts for you). A rear wheel stand would make this easy. After you do this once you will probably not need any help again. You would be surprised how easy it is to have misaligned forks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We are having some mild weather in Virginia and got out for a few hours today. I really like the look that the fork gaiters add to the bike. I had to punch a small hole in each boot for air to enter/escape. When the forks compressed and decompressed they would shrivel up airtight against the tubes.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
On 2006-12-13 09:27, Mojoinco wrote:
Make sure you align the fork tubes. Typically you loosen the top pinch bolts, stand the bike upright & straight ahead, then pump the front end (with the brakes on), taking care to not move the handlebars or front tire left or right. After three or 6 pumps (just several) you gingerly stop pumping (meaning keep it all straight), then tighten the pinch bolts (it might help to have someone hold the bike upright or to tighten the bolts for you). A rear wheel stand would make this easy. After you do this once you will probably not need any help again. You would be surprised how easy it is to have misaligned forks.
Couldn't you just mark the location of the forks with a Sharpie and install them back in the same location? That's what I planned on doing. Is there some reason why this wouldn't work?

Kem

·
Registered
844 Posts
You'll want to ensure there are vent holes at the bottom of the gators so that any moisture can drain out from around the top of the sliders (lower legs). Having a small hole at the top (hidden on the back side) probably wouldn't hurt given the humidity and heat in that part of the country.

The fork alignment is often overlooked in regular maintenance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Here they are, all mounted up and ready to rumble. Thanks again for the link Texas Tri, these are the ones and I think they look awsome. Also added the front mud ext to protect the engine from sandblast. Now waiting for the viper 3/4 fairing, I will post a pic once installed.
Just as a note: the mud ext. is installed without drilling and rivets like the kit comes, I used black windshield urethane to bond it to the fender. Clean the inside edge of the fender, place a bead around the plastic ext, place, align, clamp. In a couple of hours put a bead around the inside where the overlap meets to keep water from getting between the two and your done. No holes, and it can be removed with a hot knife. Clean up the squose with alcohol.

[ This message was edited by: ecrabbit96 on 2006-12-19 07:33 ]

·
Registered
492 Posts
ecrabbit,
that is one sweet looking Tbird. You don't see many with a Legend seat. Funny, I use a Tbird seat as I find it more comfortable. Keep meaning to send my old one off the Sargent for a redo, but can't make up my mind on how I want to do it.
oops, just reread your first post to see that is an Adventurer, my bad, could not tell the difference without seeing the rear fender. Still a sweet looking bike.

[ This message was edited by: TexasTri on 2006-12-19 12:41 ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts