Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is purely an aesthetics query - does anyone make fork gaiters for the air cooled Hinckleys that don’t look stock? Because I can’t seem to find anything, everything looks like the plain factory standard with 10 rings.

I’m looking for something closer to what rolled off the factory in the 60’s

Here is a picture of current dimensions to fit oem fork tubes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I’m slightly struggling to see what would be wrong with the factory standard gaiters. Here they are fitted to my 2006 Scrambler:

... and here is a picture of a 1960 Bonneville I borrowed from the Internet:

... am I missing something, or don’t the gaiters look quite similar?

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
The OEM last far better than any aftermarket. If you search the forum, it comes up occasionally.

Reactions: maydaymike

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thats my experience as well - I bought some cheap ebay replacements and they split badly after a year or so ...

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Yes, that's them. Baak has some very interesting builds, but I just don't know about leather gaiters. Those H962's certainly look old-school

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is purely an aesthetics query - does anyone make fork gaiters for the air cooled Hinckleys that don’t look stock? Because I can’t seem to find anything, everything looks like the plain factory standard with 10 rings.

I’m looking for something closer to what rolled off the factory in the 60’s

Here is a picture of current dimensions to fit oem fork tubes.

View attachment 714913

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Not sure this will be of any help since some of the details are fuzzy now. I did some mods to my '06 T100 when I bought it new in '06. There were no gators on the stock forks. I didn't like the look of the OEM gators so the dealer (South Bay Triumph in CA, possibly no longer in biz) fitted them with (I could be wrong) BMW (or possibly Mercedes) auto gators. Here's a pic. Look close for the gators. Good luck, Jim in Solvang, CA

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, I’ll have a deeper search on the interwebs but BMW gaiters don’t show up much more compatibility. The closest I’ve seen so far are Harley ones as some models also come with a 41mm fork but the gaiters tend to be very short.

If I find something suitable I will post in this thread.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The Kawasaki W800 gaiters may work, 41mm , just a matter whether or not they look right for you.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I am using Harley Sportster ones but i am using a Superbrace Fork Brace so the length is just right. That may be of no use to you though. The front wheel is off the deck on a stand in this picture.Been using them for 2 years with no problems.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think I recall reading somewhere on this forum that the OEM gaiters for the Yamaha Bolt are a durable, direct fit.
I need to upgrade mine, as I made the mistake of getting the ones Dime City sells. I should have listened to the reviews.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts