Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Funnily enough, I have the same cartridge kit and I can't stand the way those covers look either - I thought it was just me 馃槀馃ぃ. I've been running the bike with them off, but unfortunately my forks had to go back to K-Tech twice and they've marked the finish on the fork tops, so I too would like to cover them up with something.

Registered
Lol, Barbarella fork tops 馃槈.

There was a very weird noise coming out of the left fork leg each time it extended. You could both hear and feel it at low speed. Apparently on the Dyno the fork was working perfectly, but it was horrible. They've changed a spring rate inside the check valve on the compression side now. I can still hear it a bit, and since I fitted clipons to my Speed Twin I can still feel it which is off-putting.

Just tried to upload a short video but it didn't let me. Just imagine a cross between a tick and a knock if you pumped the forks up and down with the bike stationary.

Registered
Oh man. Ever since I got the K-tech cartridge I notice this clunk noise. I am hoping it is something like a loose steering head bearing. It sounds like it is hopefully different from your experience. I hear/feel it at low speed when I hit a bump.
That's the one. The road I live on is quite bumpy, plus there's a traffic cop who lives quite close, so I ride off super slowly in the morning and all I could hear and feel was this knock/rattle as the wheel moved over the bumps quickly 馃う. At first I thought a brake pipe was slapping the mudguard, then like you I thought it was the head bearings. Then I wondered if the pads where rattling in the brake calipers. Eventually I realised it was my super expensive 'high quality' new fork cartridges. Insert expletives here.

The good thing is that according to K-Tech our forks are functioning correctly. I.E the damping is working just fine, so apparently it's nothing to worry about. Once I knew that I quickly started to push towards the edge of the rear tyre in corners, so they definitely work fine.

K-Tech apparently did a lot of research to understand what was causing the noise and they figured out it was a little return spring inside the check valve. They designed a new one and fitted it for me many months after their first attempt to repair them. If you get in touch with K-Tech they will probably help you out. If their customer service is as good in North America as it is in the UK, they should do it for free, including paying the shipping both ways for you 馃檪.

As I say, the noise hasn't completely gone away, and it's worse in colder weather, but it's better than when I first got them. Good luck 馃檪.

Registered
:(

I'm really hoping it's not the forks. I can easily recreate the noise/feeling by sitting on the bike and moving it a little forward or backward and grabbing the front brake. Was this your experience?

When did you purchase your kit?

Can you let me know who you dealt with to fix this?
Yes, but not if you are holding the front brake. If you hold the front brake the pads will make a noise as they move inside the brake caliper.

If you want to send me a private message with an email address, I can send you a short video of the problem so that you can see and hear for yourself.

Please see my message in post #8 above for the fix. Bear in mind that the fork is still working properly according to K-Tech, so technically it did not need fixing. Nevertheless, K-Tech fitted a new spring inside the check valve which made the noise quieter. Hope I have made sense.

Registered
I have to say that my next bike will be built in Germany or Japan. That鈥檚 not to say a Thai built bike is bad, but I think there is something to be said about where the bike is built.
In theory they should get better over time if Triumph keep working on quality control. If it helps, when Triumph Street Triples were made in the UK there was a spate of bikes with the front right indicator wired incorrectly. This didn't matter until someone fitted the optional LED indicators and they wouldn't work unless you reversed the connectors to the opposite of the wiring diagram 馃ぃ馃槀.

Yamaha seem to be pretty good at mass producing engines to quite tight tolerances, regularly.

Registered
Haha I never said British built either鈥ut I chose the Street Twin for all the low end torque, and they do indeed make the best looking modern classics albeit at the cost of lower end components
How very dare you 馃槈馃ぃ. I will be over shortly in my Spitfire to teach you some manners....I might be a while though as it's in a hanger in Thailand, so sit tight 馃槀. And yeah, I hear you, Street Triples have had so many issues with stators and reg/rectifiers it's ridiculous. Speed Triples and sprag clutches.... Mind you, Honda has dropped some clangers over the years (e.g VF500), and early ZX10Rs have weak valve spring retainers, so they drop valves sooner or later and crack frames. Some Gixxer thousands snapped frames....

Triumph do make good looking retros. It's a shame Enfield didn't give their twin a bigger displacement as I think that looks ok too, especially with a few mods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts