Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have K-tech cartridge suspension, but I don't really like the caps nor the way they look without the caps (that hide the preload and compression/rebound adjustment). Does anybody have any ideas on finding something more plain looking.

Font Auto part Camera accessory Bottle cap Personal protective equipment

· Registered
195 Posts
Funnily enough, I have the same cartridge kit and I can't stand the way those covers look either - I thought it was just me 😂🤣. I've been running the bike with them off, but unfortunately my forks had to go back to K-Tech twice and they've marked the finish on the fork tops, so I too would like to cover them up with something.

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why did they need to go back?

Glad to know I am not alone. It’s really the god damn cut outs, which made them more expensive to make lol. They look like something out of a bad 60’s scifi movie.

· Registered
195 Posts
Lol, Barbarella fork tops 😉.

There was a very weird noise coming out of the left fork leg each time it extended. You could both hear and feel it at low speed. Apparently on the Dyno the fork was working perfectly, but it was horrible. They've changed a spring rate inside the check valve on the compression side now. I can still hear it a bit, and since I fitted clipons to my Speed Twin I can still feel it which is off-putting.

Just tried to upload a short video but it didn't let me. Just imagine a cross between a tick and a knock if you pumped the forks up and down with the bike stationary.

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh man. Ever since I got the K-tech cartridge I notice this clunk noise. I am hoping it is something like a loose steering head bearing. It sounds like it is hopefully different from your experience. I hear/feel it at low speed when I hit a bump.

· Registered
195 Posts
Oh man. Ever since I got the K-tech cartridge I notice this clunk noise. I am hoping it is something like a loose steering head bearing. It sounds like it is hopefully different from your experience. I hear/feel it at low speed when I hit a bump.
That's the one. The road I live on is quite bumpy, plus there's a traffic cop who lives quite close, so I ride off super slowly in the morning and all I could hear and feel was this knock/rattle as the wheel moved over the bumps quickly 🤦. At first I thought a brake pipe was slapping the mudguard, then like you I thought it was the head bearings. Then I wondered if the pads where rattling in the brake calipers. Eventually I realised it was my super expensive 'high quality' new fork cartridges. Insert expletives here.

The good thing is that according to K-Tech our forks are functioning correctly. I.E the damping is working just fine, so apparently it's nothing to worry about. Once I knew that I quickly started to push towards the edge of the rear tyre in corners, so they definitely work fine.

K-Tech apparently did a lot of research to understand what was causing the noise and they figured out it was a little return spring inside the check valve. They designed a new one and fitted it for me many months after their first attempt to repair them. If you get in touch with K-Tech they will probably help you out. If their customer service is as good in North America as it is in the UK, they should do it for free, including paying the shipping both ways for you 🙂.

As I say, the noise hasn't completely gone away, and it's worse in colder weather, but it's better than when I first got them. Good luck 🙂.

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
:(

I'm really hoping it's not the forks. I can easily recreate the noise/feeling by sitting on the bike and moving it a little forward or backward and grabbing the front brake. Was this your experience?

When did you purchase your kit?

Can you let me know who you dealt with to fix this?

· Registered
195 Posts

I'm really hoping it's not the forks. I can easily recreate the noise/feeling by sitting on the bike and moving it a little forward or backward and grabbing the front brake. Was this your experience?

Yes, but not if you are holding the front brake. If you hold the front brake the pads will make a noise as they move inside the brake caliper.

If you want to send me a private message with an email address, I can send you a short video of the problem so that you can see and hear for yourself.

Please see my message in post #8 above for the fix. Bear in mind that the fork is still working properly according to K-Tech, so technically it did not need fixing. Nevertheless, K-Tech fitted a new spring inside the check valve which made the noise quieter. Hope I have made sense.

· Registered
'22 Thruxton RS
23 Posts
I have K-tech cartridge suspension, but I don't really like the caps nor the way they look without the caps (that hide the preload and compression/rebound adjustment). Does anybody have any ideas on finding something more plain looking.
CapsFanBen: do I correctly assume CapsFan as in Washington Capitols fan? If so you should know I'm an Avs fan, and since the Capitols and Avalanche play one another tonight, I may reserve the right to gloat in the event the Avs happen to win. Seriously though, I wish the Caps were doing a little better as I really like Darcy Kuemper. He's a good human as well as a pretty good goaltender, and I think it's fair to say most of us Coloradoans were sad to see him go. I believe he gets his championship ring tonight during the game. Gotta be a bit of a bittersweet moment for him.

On the fork caps: this is an ideal application for a 3D printed part. If you have the ability to drive a CAD package, you could detail up a simple, understated looking part and have a pair printed up in black plastic literally for pennies. I've used web-based 3D printing services before, and the price is very, very reasonable for small parts like this. Upload a drawing, pay a few dollars, and the parts show up in your mailbox right quick.

Maybe something like this but in black plastic.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Rim Cylinder

Edited to include a link to "Thingiverse", which is a free online file repository for 3D parts. A search using the keyword 'fork cap' returns a number of hits like this one Fork Dust Cap - BMW R1100S Motorcycle '99 by Nitro1980. Graphic shown below. Maybe you can find something that already exists and has a thread size matching your existing caps. If so, the CAD is already done. Would only need to submit the file to an online 3D printing service and the parts will magically appear at your door.

Font Output device Automotive tire Audio equipment Electric blue

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Re the caps—ugh they suck. Way too old and slow. I also think Kuemper was a mistake. He is good but not great.

I think plastic would look cheap but it might be an option. The caps would need a set screw hole and a hexagonal hole. The tops of the cartridges don’t have threats—just a hex nut to adjust preload.

· Registered
55 Posts

Had that click/clank on my 2010 sprint. Took to dealer who denied it occurred. Second dealer said oh your

1 - 20 of 29 Posts