Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 1200 with a leaking fork and would like to improve the fork performance when I do the repairs. I'm needing some guidance, with the whole package. Like should I do something with the rear shock at the same time. Thanks everyone, OldKid.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
148 Posts
PM member TMod. Terry is a good guy and does a hell of a job upgrading suspension.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
40 Posts
First, I'm a novice. I've done one and only one fork.

I think my fork was in somewhat similar shape to yours when I started. One leg was leaking, and the stuff left on the leg was beading... It was full of water contamination.

When I got the front wheel off it became apparent I had bad fork bushings on one leg. That started a search of parts - eventually ending at the Yamaha dealer where I bought some v-max busings (same 43mm Shawa fork).

Taking the fork apart... Step 1 - I made the tool described in the manual out of a 22mm nut (30mm wrench size), and old socket, and an old short extension.

Ugly Welds, I know.

When I reassembled I used the AllBalls seals. I found them on E-Bay, reasonable priced. Get new dust seals too.

I had some scratched/burned spots in the chrome legs. I wet sanded these out using 1000 grit sad paper. I tried for a cross-hatched pattern like you would when honing a cylinder. It was a last ditch effort to save having to buy a new for leg (or two).

I did not change valving. That may have been a mistake, but it turned out OK.

I did change to 15 weight fork oil. Get two bottles, you'll need about 1-1/2. If you have contaminated fork oil you can flush with kerosene then flush the kerosene with a little new fork oil.

So far I have no leaks. I was worried based on the scratches I had to sand out.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

A few photos, just for your entertainment:

The right leg leaks a little

·
Registered
570 Posts
www.racetech.com
They have all the parts you need to refurbish your forks (oil, seals, bushings). You can also order custom springs based on your weight and gold valve cartridge emulators to adjust your valving(factory is non-adjustable). If you want to wait a while on the springs, set the oil level to 125mm (sae15 weight oil)and add about 1/2 to 3/4" preload spacer(1 1/2" dia pvc pipe) to take out some of the dive from the dual rate springs. For the rear shock, Hagon is probably the best bang for the buck. www.davequinnmotorcycles.com is the US importer for Hagon shocks. You can get a shock with remote preload and uprated spring for $624. Shocks are rebuildable(factory shock is not). I don't know of any other factory shock that fits the Trophy.

Hope this helps,
Happy Trails,
Erv

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There is a lot of conflicting info about trophy forks. I have a 2001 and needed to replace oil & dust seals. Through a lot of research on this forum and other places I found I have Kayaba Forks. I believe your 2002 does too. The dust seals look exactly like those in pbagly's photos and the correct oil level is 105mm. I used 15w and am happy with the results. If you can see springs around the outside of the dust seals you've got Showa forks and that oil level should be set at 133mm according to the book. 125mm will make them stiffer with less dive though an probably more to your liking.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The oil seals are the same for both the Kayaba and Showa forks(43mm). The only difference is the dust seals. And I'm not so sure about that either. My '02 factory dust seals didn't have springs. The ones I got from RaceTech do, and they fit perfectly. I am still running the factory springs(waiting for my rear shock to die before I replace both ends). Raising the oil level definitely helped reduce some of the nose-dive under braking(less air in the forks to compress). Best to start at the stock height with 15 weight, and then add about 50cc's at a time till you get it where you want it. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The oil seals are the same for both the Kayaba and Showa forks(43mm). The only difference is the dust seals. And I'm not so sure about that either. My '02 factory dust seals didn't have springs. The ones I got from RaceTech do, and they fit perfectly. I am still running the factory springs(waiting for my rear shock to die before I replace both ends). Raising the oil level definitely helped reduce some of the nose-dive under braking(less air in the forks to compress). Best to start at the stock height with 15 weight, and then add about 50cc's at a time till you get it where you want it. YMMV.
The dimensions for the oil seals for Kayaba (43x55x9.5) are not the same as for the Showa (43x54x11). The stock dust seals would be different too. Race Tech is a great company (I rebuilt both forks and rear shock on my Speed Triple using their Gold Valve kits) and I'm sure their seals fit fine but no matter what style dust seal is supplied, they will be sized for either Kayaba or Showa.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. What a great bunch of information. This forum has some of the very best contributors. Thanks so much guys. Ride on.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
20 Posts
I replaced my fork springs with RaceTech. I got all the parts including the springs from Bike Bandit, the best source for OEM parts for my Trophy that I've found.
I used all OEM fork seals & parts except the RaceTech springs.
If I had it to do again, I think I might have kept the stock springs and just changed the fork oil level a little.
Do you also drive a RR?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts