Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back.... back to the 17t sprocket. I thought I'd give it another try after having the 19t on for about two months. Wow.... I didn't realize how much acceleration I had lost with the 19t. I thought sure I'd get better mpg and found after all this time it's maybe 1 mile per gallon. My freeway driving rarely gets above 80mph so... why did I waste my time? I'm thinking that I'll save some clutch life, be able to take off the line quicker without over revving off the line, and keep the rpm's where they need to be. Higher...

On a side note it did give me another excuse to work on the bike. Oh.... almost forgot. Anyone else losing their seat bolts like me? It's getting ridiculous!

[ This message was edited by: jimmyc on 2006-11-20 15:46 ]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
uh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh uh huh huh huh uh huh huh huh.

BTW, I'm gonna go to a 17 myself, on the assumptiion that quicker acceleration with a lower top speed is prolly two good things.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
...and with the increased redline with the Procom box, it's all gravy. I guess if I smoke my mill it's my own fault now, eh? Of course, then I could put on the 998 cc kit and the naughty cam. Bwahahahaha!!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
It'd take a lot to smoke one of these motors. Short stroke, dual overhead cams, 4 qt oil capacity (as much as my old Audi A4), oil cooler ............. I suspect these bikes would run all day at 6000rpm plus, if called on to do so. We ran them pretty hard riding out West this summer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The instruction manual that came with my 1985 BMW K100RS had two rpm specs (a) max rpm, and (2) max continuous rpm. Max was or course redline. Max continuous was only a few hundred rpm under redline.

Bob

·
Registered
913 Posts
17t is the way to go

Lockwashers work too. In fact, I lost one of my seatbolts and when I reordered from Newbonneville they sent the new set with lockwashers. Kudo's to them.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
On 2006-11-20 17:02, DrEnglish wrote:
uh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh uh huh huh huh uh huh huh huh.

BTW, I'm gonna go to a 17 myself, on the assumptiion that quicker acceleration with a lower top speed is prolly two good things.
yeah.. must admit outright top speed doesn't interest me.. have hit 136 in a car and it was quite easy, but on a bike? I was trying to get to 100 the other day just to say I had and at 96, chin on the tank, wind noise, engine screaming, what had seemed smooth road surface now feeling like dirt track, I thought "Sod this for a game of soldiers" and eased off. Nailing it at the lights still gives me a childish buzz though.. :-D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Other than the quicker acceleration off the line, do people with 17t sprockets find any difference in the mid-range? I'd be interested in a 17 toother if it improved top-gear roll-on between 40-80mph which is where I do all my riding. I think my '06 T100 comes stock with an 18t but I've not taken the cover off to count 'em... am I right?

I'll give the bike one run at the ton and once I've done it on a Bonnie it'll be the last time she ever sees that kind of speed. I'm with richb on that one. Call me chicken, but my wife and two kids have a right to see me get home safely :wink:

Being able to blip past cars faster on an overtake, though, is a safety feature as far as I'm concerned :-D

·
Registered
145 Posts
am i the only one that looks for a sixth gear? the bike seems to need it? i attempted to run on on the interstate with some sport bikes... i backed her down around 110 mi. :cool:

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
the 17t gives quicker acceleration at all speeds, the cool thing is it places your gears closer together so when you shift at redline BAM right back in the power, no waiting for her to wind up. You can let out the clutch and then slam the throttle wide F-ing open.

I love my 17t, and you're correct, your T100 does come with an 18t, so did mine but I switched.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On 2006-11-22 06:22, indy288 wrote:
am i the only one that looks for a sixth gear? the bike seems to need it? i attempted to run on on the interstate with some sport bikes... i backed her down around 110 mi. :cool:
Yes... the elusive 6th gear. I too was looking for 6th gear which prompted my 19t purchase. But I've learned from many folks on this forum... the bonnie loves to be wound up. And hey.... that's where the power is anyway. Gas mileage remains the same for me at 42-45mpg.

Speaking of 6th gear.... When I'm on the freeway and the speed limit is 55mph I have it in 4th gear doing 60mph. When the speed limit is 65mph doing 70mpph I still have it in 4th gear. If I hit 5th at that speed it's boggy. So what was I thinking?

Remember - as per others in this forum. The engine is made to rev. Short strokes = high revs. The 17t suits me fine. And after my 19t experiment I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I done-the-ton on my 1970 CL350. Running 10,000 rpm. Red line 10,500 rpm. Only ran 95 on Bonnie so far.
I too usually run a gear lower than needed. I like the power if needed. Especialy in traffic. Plus I want them to hear me. And they do. I guess I better get a 17T.
I run my Caprice in D (3rd gear) in town & OD (4th) out on the road.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
This bike inspires tinkering! I started with stock 17T, went to 18T, which was fine for me on a 5K trip, but went back to 17T once back home. I like the performance of the 17T on the 790cc engine for most of my riding. When I replace sprockets and chain, I may try an intermediate step, and leave the front at 17T, and drop the rear sprocket from a 43 to 42T. That'd give me a final drive ratio about midway between a 17 and 18T front sprocket.
17-43 = 2.53:1 (stock)
17-42 = 2.47:1
18-43 = 2.39:1

Bob

·
Registered
194 Posts
Since I've acquired a V-strom for touring (yeah, I know, it's a Suzuki, so beat me.......... I got a great deal and couldn't afford a Tiger) taking the Bonnie on the Interstate is less of an issue. The 17t stays. The bike is zippy off the mark.....it's great, juvenile fun dusting off Harleys and other cruisers at red lights, and even the occasional sportbike with an unskilled rider. :-D

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
JMV 2006 - Thanks for the link to Gearing Commander. I'll give it a try over the weekend.

Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.