Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my steep learning curve is getting steeper.

Have posted recently re fouled plugs, missing etc. The general consensus is too rich. Having lowered the carb needle 1 step in an attempt to lean it out I now have hesitation, lack of power when opening it up.

I should re state that I'm running twin 30mm Dellorto carbs, new wiring harness and Lucas electronic ignition.

Speaking to my mechanic he says just put Amals on and then it is a known quantity and he can tune it properly. He is a bit old-school and doesn't ever seem to want anything that is not factory original. I can understand the thinking here but am short of the $500 -$1000 it is probably going to cost to put on new carbs, (or good second hand ones).

Surely the dellortos can work. They were on the bike when I got it so may have worked before?

Having lowered the needles 1 notch and now with hesitation I'm thinking main jet too small??

My question is does anyone have experience with foreign carbs and tuning them and can they suggest how to go about it?

Thanks,

BEN.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks motersikelist for the Dellorto link. I'm sure it will provide hours of fun reading :D Good to see there are other Ducati owners out there on this site.

GrandPaulZ, thanks for the heads up re pricing. I trust you noticed I'm in Australia.... Where can I get carbs for that sort of price??

I must admit I'm hoping to get the dellortos working and have spoken to my local Ducati mechanic who will help with some ideas. The whole theory is I just want to ride the bike around for a while then in 6 months or so tear it down and completely rebuild it. I am really motivated by some of the bikes on BigDcycle.com, particularly Dave Edwards Cafe Racer.

Would the amals be better option then or if I can get the Dellortos working??????:confused:

BEN.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, So as an update to this thread, I've been fiddling with the Dellortos and so far, so good.

I have changed the slide to one with a bigger cutaway (so leaned it out) and got the needle on the leanest position. This has cured any plug fouling and hesitation when on more than half throttle. Plug colours seem good and I'm now considering whether or not to do some plug chops to see if it's totally fixed through the whole operational range.

The best part was I actually had all the parts in some spare Dellortos I had off one of my Ducatis.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts