Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been toying with the idea of getting the Motone X-pipe for my T120 black. But I’m wondering if I’d need anything to remap the bike? I used to have a Harley, and I remember when I added a set of Vance and Hines slip ons, I had to buy a Fuelpak to remap the bike. Do I need anything like that?

Also, does adding a x-pipe cause decel pop or any other annoying side effects like that? I am not a fan of decel pop. This was also a problem with my Harley. Haha.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The TEC X-Pipe on my Street Twin had no effect except to make the exhaust a bit louder and reduce by a small amount, the heat on my legs. NO signs of decel pop with V&H exhaust that was on the bike prior to the X-Pipe.
Soon the T120 will also have a TEC X-Pipe installed but with a stock exhaust until a new exhaust arrives from Australia in a few weeks. I expect the results will be the same as on the Street Twin.

Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys. I know, I know. It’s a pet peeve of mine when someone posts the same thing that’s been asked 100 times. I did use the search feature but couldn’t find anything relating to decel pop. If you know of a thread that I missed, can you point it out to me? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
It’s not going to slap you in the face. You need to read through them a bit. It’s mentioned a lot. have a look through this one to start.
then here.

the bikes pop from the start. it will make it more noticeable. But some have said there’s it reduced. It all depends on the persons ear. If you don’t notice it now you may not with the decat either. I love the pop. Have the motone Decat and Bc Predator Pros on my speed twin. Will pop on decel from about 5k for a little then around the 3k down to 2k.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
No effects on anything but sound and radiated heat here. There's more of the same sound, and almost no radiated heat, which on a hot day was really objectionable. I have a TEC X-pipe. Quality seems very nice, and it fits perfectly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I found the sound best with the Meerkat. After my research (watching copious amounts of youtube videos) I went with the Meerkat x pipe. 1 year later, very satisfied.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the Motone decat. It's not really an X-pipe, more like an open chamber. I am also running Norman Hyde Togo mufflers which are shorter than stock and straight through. Never noticed a deceleration pop. The bike ran great with stock ECU programming. I felt a very noticeable improvement in acceleration after doing this but I went to a 40 tooth rear sprocket at the same time and that probably had the larger effect.

Even though the bike ran extremely well and I didn't really feel the need for more power I thought what the heck, I'll try the DNK ECU tune. I am still surprised each time I ride the bike how much more I enjoy how well it works with that tune. WAY stronger even in the 3-4000 rpm range I spend most of my time in. I do now get some deceleration pop but I don't find it objectionable. It doesn't occur every time the throttle is closed, actually fairly rarely.

Chuck

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the Motone decat. It's not really an X-pipe, more like an open chamber.
Not sure which Motone your running but all the ones iv seen including mine is by definition an x-pipe. The just go a different way about it Using 2 Half's instead of pipe bends.

A haven’t ridden or heard a T120 run up close. Maybe the HT motors Cam and tune don’t give the same popping on decel as the HP. And from memory reading on hear, Diva from DNK takes some fuel out on decel to reduce the popping.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not sure which Motone your running but all the ones iv seen including mine is by definition an x-pipe. The just go a different way about it Using 2 Half's instead of pipe bends.

A haven’t ridden or heard a T120 run up close. Maybe the HT motors Cam and tune don’t give the same popping on decel as the HP. And from memory reading on hear, Diva from DNK takes some fuel out on decel to reduce the popping.
I guess your definition of an x-pipe is different than mine. I think of an x-pipe with 2 fairly straight pipes splitting into some form of an x and then exiting again in a fairly straight manner. With the T120 there is a sharp 90 degree bend going into the cat or various decat units and sharp 90 degree bends exiting the units. The Motone unit, at least for the T120 has no internal baffling, just mixing within these 4 90 degree bends. On top of that, with the tube within a tube design of the rest of the exhaust system there is significant reduction in pipe size.

Most deceleration poping is caused by a lean, not rich condition. A rich condition with air leaks into the exhaust will cause it. Danielle can correct me but based on my experience with my bike I believe she must have reduced the overly rich condition on decceleration, resulting in the occasional poping.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Been toying with the idea of getting the Motone X-pipe for my T120 black. But I’m wondering if I’d need anything to remap the bike? I used to have a Harley, and I remember when I added a set of Vance and Hines slip ons, I had to buy a Fuelpak to remap the bike. Do I need anything like that?

Also, does adding a x-pipe cause decel pop or any other annoying side effects like that? I am not a fan of decel pop. This was also a problem with my Harley. Haha.

Thanks guys.
On my T120 with the stock mufflers, there wasn't a noticeable increase in decel popping with a Meerkat crossover. I would recommend a DNK tune though, which smoothed it out and made it more responsive.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I guess your definition of an x-pipe is different than mine. I think of an x-pipe with 2 fairly straight pipes splitting into some form of an x and then exiting again in a fairly straight manner. With the T120 there is a sharp 90 degree bend going into the cat or various decat units and sharp 90 degree bends exiting the units. The Motone unit, at least for the T120 has no internal baffling, just mixing within these 4 90 degree bends. On top of that, with the tube within a tube design of the rest of the exhaust system there is significant reduction in pipe size.

Most deceleration poping is caused by a lean, not rich condition. A rich condition with air leaks into the exhaust will cause it. Danielle can correct me but based on my experience with my bike I believe she must have reduced the overly rich condition on decceleration, resulting in the occasional poping.

Chuck
I’ll stand correct on the popping, I meant to say added timing not fuel 🤦🏻.

Your statement contradicts itself. ”pooping is caused by lean condition” then you say a ‘rich condition with leaks Will cause it. The system providing it was installed correctly is sealed.

Deceleration pooping is caused by the detonation of unburned fuel in the exhaust pipe. This happens with high flow exhausts that allow more fresh air to be pulled into the pipe, causing the exhaust temperature to rise and detonate any unburnt fuel. If it’s I burnt then there is surplus fuel I.e. rich.

the x-pipe or decat from all The different manufactures is the Same item for the 12000/900 (bar scrambler) water cooled engines, as is the motone. not all the bikes have the tube in tube Design. Just the T120, and I’m guessing maybe T100, bobber, with chrome pipes. that’s to stop the chrome blueing On the outside.

if you take the catalyst out of the cat it’s pretty much an open chamber. While The de-cats are not like a x-pipe you would find in a car system it still shapes the gas flow across sides with more velocity then being directed into a chamber or The path in some of the cheaper units. It not a full 90 degrees as the exit of the bend opens up. There’s not enough room down there to do a Longer, less restrictive crossover.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I've had a Motone X-pipe on my 2018 Bonne T120 for about 17,000 miles. Installed British Customs Sleeper Pro slip-ons at the same time. I did the recommended run-in to allow the ECU to self-adjust (I believe it was let it idle without touching the throttle until the fan kicks on for the first time and then for an additional 5 minutes) and the bike has run perfectly since then. I don't get any popping on deceleration, but it does kind of burble a little which I think is a bonus.

I didn't do those mods to increase performance. I got rid of the CAT because I didn't want a furnace under my engine and I replaced the stock pea-shooters because I thought they were a little too long and a little too wide. So the modest increase in performance was a pleasant bonus too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I still think this is the most informative x-pipe thread (as long as you have about a month to read it all!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally have the TEC xpipe and have never experienced any popping on deceleration. I did the recommended run in time to let the ecu relearn and have never had any issues at all. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks guys.
Got a Motone x pipe fitted to my '19 T120. Apparently the ecu is self mapping so when the pipe is fitted run the bike on tick over until the fan kicks in. Thats it. No annoying popping and farting. No probs at all and still getting same mpg.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Got a Motone x pipe fitted to my '19 T120. Apparently the ecu is self mapping so when the pipe is fitted run the bike on tick over until the fan kicks in. Thats it. No annoying popping and farting. No probs at all and still getting same mpg.
Works fine without a remap, but even better with! :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey YDS7, did you notice a difference in performance or sound?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounded better and less jerky at very slow speed. Def doesnt run as hot. I'm glad I did it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts