Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a triple for a while but was scared to give up my gsxr or cbr's. I bought the triple last week but was worried I'd get board with it. Monday I rode with about 10 guys on super sports (I was on my triple with gf on the back). I rode for almost 4 hours! Only one straight away did I get passed up (by a zx 14) I could hang with the guys on 600's no problem. When it came time to hit the twisites once again no problem and yes that was with a passenger. The bike is a ball! At this point no doubt in my mind I made the right choice. The only thing I can really bitch about is the price and availability of aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've wanted a triple for a while but was scared to give up my gsxr or cbr's. I bought the triple last week but was worried I'd get board with it. Monday I rode with about 10 guys on super sports (I was on my triple with gf on the back). I rode for almost 4 hours! Only one straight away did I get passed up (by a zx 14) I could hang with the guys on 600's no problem. When it came time to hit the twisites once again no problem and yes that was with a passenger. The bike is a ball! At this point no doubt in my mind I made the right choice. The only thing I can really bitch about is the price and availability of aftermarket parts.
02 R1 to 08 1050. I haven't looked back.
:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This doesn't end until you sell your bike. No matter how much you tell yourself you are done buying parts..... You find some other piece of eye candy or performance upgrade....

Start a savings fund now.
Lol, very very true.... I work for a high performance automotive distribution center and dont have a fast car for this reason.... I keep looking at different things to add. I put CRG bar end mirrors on yesterday and I should have my EBC pads today.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Passenger comfort.

How did the lady fare on the back. I know most have said women need to basically be gymnasts to put up with the back of the S3.

My wife doesn't have any intentions on getting on the back of any bike... so removed the passenger pegs altogether a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One thing I'm really impressed with the triple is how comfy and easy it is to ride with a passenger... plus my passengers (that I have taken) have all said they are more comfy and sit higher so they can see more too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
One thing I'm really impressed with the triple is how comfy and easy it is to ride with a passenger... plus my passengers (that I have taken) have all said they are more comfy and sit higher so they can see more too.
What year is your S3? I believe that it was the 05-07's that the passenger pegs were quite high in relation to the seat, and that in 08 they lowered them an inch or two

·
Registered
11 Posts
New member looking to buy '09 S3 1050

I haven't riden an Speed Triple 1050 yet, but hope to tomorrow.
Is $11.4 a good OTD price on a 2009 S3 1050?
Knowing before hand will help me close a deal sooner.
My current bike is a 2005 SV1K Suzuki with 85.K miles.
Thanks,
~Jeff

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did the lady fare on the back. I know most have said women need to basically be gymnasts to put up with the back of the S3.

My wife doesn't have any intentions on getting on the back of any bike... so removed the passenger pegs altogether a few weeks ago.
in comparisonto my cbr 600rr she said it was like being on a goldwing. my 954 was the most comfy ss bike but this is way better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks,
~Jeff
It is alright. The sticker on mine was 11299, and the dealer did not discount the bike, but gave good deals on the accessories I got with it and the service plan etc. Typically they don't discount european bikes too much here in CO, but you can haggle with the service plan, accessories bought with the bike, trade in, etc. I got bluebook for my trade in, which I was very content with.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thanks,
~Jeff
You need to hurry up and break-in your SV1000.:p

I'd try offering 1K less and go up from there. But it really depends on how badly you want it and how soon you want it.

Despite my possible piston issues, the S3 is one of the best bikes I've owned. I've put over 21,000 miles on my '07 S3 (which I bought new) in the 23 months I've owned it. For comparison, I've put just over 15,000 miles on my 2005 SV1000S (also bought new) during my 37 months of ownership.

Good luck!:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry this is left field. Yesterday while I was at a light with my gf on the back I had a Harley pull up next to me. The guy looked over gave me the thumbs up and then took off the other way. I couldnt belive it... Never before have I had a guy on a HD give me the slightest compliment.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry this is left field. Yesterday while I was at a light with my gf on the back I had a Harley pull up next to me. The guy looked over gave me the thumbs up and then took off the other way. I couldnt belive it... Never before have I had a guy on a HD give me the slightest compliment.
I had a similar experience. There's a custom chopper shop down the road from me. They've started selling Harley's as well, I guess times are tough. They had a party; band, food, bikini bike wash etc. With all the bikes there, I looked over and saw that all the mechanics had snuck out the back door and were standing around my '09 S3.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts