Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is fairly trivial, but it bugs me every time I ride... my footpeg springs aren't stiff enough. If I just brush against the pegs (like, when I'm stopped) they bounce up and down.
Are the springs some sort of standard size? I know nothing about springs, so I guess what I'm looking to do is replace them with more stout ones.
I don't even know if this is possible.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Weird. Are they original pegs/springs? You can take them apart and bend the end "tabs" of the springs to help tighten them up. There aren't a whole lot of choices to replace with and would be trial and error....

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Have the pegs been removed and replaced at all?. The spring might not be anchored and tensioned properly.

These pictures, courtesy of BonnieBlack, shows you how it should be:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume they are stock (the pegs are stock). I guess I could bend them, or compress them a bit.
I've never thought about something like this on any bike I've ever owned... these just bug me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
foot pegs

i have a 2007 t100 and i also have the same problem. i have big feet and when i come to a stop and slide my foot along the peg it folds and my foot sticks. once i did not think i would get my foot down. as i look at the base of the peg there is a small hole (sorry no pix)
i was thinking of putting a bolt in to keep the peg from folding. i dont mind the old stiff peg.
what else can i do?
urdaboss
kissimmee fl

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The same spring has ben used on all Bonnies from 2001, part number T2080819, and at least mine snaps the footpeg back down smartly.

Have you checked that it's assembled as in the pictures above?.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's interesting. Just been to have a look at my pegs and the part of the spring nearest the bike is in that little hole as opposed to on top of the bracket as shown in the pictures in thread #3

·
Registered
444 Posts
Affraid its somthing you have to put up with It was decided that all bikes sold in America had to have sprung footrests for safety, Up until then we didnt have problems if you ground them out on corners you raised them (cant do that now on modern bikes) and if you dropped the bike or a minor spill the footrest took the load or bent and saved more damage to the machine...............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts