Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin has a 2009 t100 with67k on it. He has had the bolt holding his foot peg break off on two separate occasion. The recent one was on the road at 75MPH!! Is this a weak spot in the Bonnevilles or is his experience an aberration? Any input will be greatly appreciated as I don't want it to happen to me!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Redstickboy, many people have had problems like this including me! If you search the forum for broken peg you will see a bunch of threads discussing both the broken bolt situation and in my case the broken cast portion of the peg. I think this is super dangerous and I recommend replacing pegs or hardware to everyone. I have a scrambler so I went with a much more substantial and aggressive peg from Biltwell. Be careful!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
I never heard of a such problem in french forums
From reports here, this would appear to occur if the nut becomes loose, so something to check periodically. Probably NOT a good idea to stand on these pegs. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Whimpy Pegs

Forchetto,

Excellent last three sentences. With the two dozen or so bikes that I have ridden over the last 50 years I have never had to be concerned of this issue until owning my T100.

I plan to "modify" my hanger brackets, or make new ones over the winter, so that I can use them seated or standing without thinking of anything else except the road!

Namaste,
Charles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Sounds scary!! Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket peg for my 2010 Bonnie SE? It appears to be a unbolt and swap situation.
Thanks again for helping the newbie

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Sounds scary!! Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket peg for my 2010 Bonnie SE? It appears to be a unbolt and swap situation.
There are several pegs available but they don't address the breakages talked about here. They concern the welded stud on the clevis or hinged part of the peg.

We have had many cases where the alloy part of the peg, the bit under the rubber, has broken off, usually following a drop or hit against a solid object though. I have Oberon pegs on mine, and they're much stronger than those poor quality cast items, like these:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/166959-oberon-touring-footpegs-for-bonneville-se.html

I've also carried out a permanent mod to the peg clevis fittings over two years ago and I'm perfectly happy with it. However at the time there were some objections and some comments made that I was irresponsible and, I quote: was "putting people's lives at risk", so I don't recommend it (don't want some hot-shot American lawyer suing my ass off :))...I don't give a shyte. My pegs are now not going anywhere:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/212472-broke-rider-s-left-footpeg-off-8.html#post2292602

Very important:
If you're doing none of the above then the least you should do is to ensure the nuts-studs are properly pre-loaded, that's kept really tight. The torque recommended is 27Nm but if you can't get a torque wrench in there, at least ensure regular checks for tightness, your life could depend on it. A simple 12 or 13mm ring wrench is all you need if nothing else is available, takes only a minute or so to at least check.

An excellent article detailing why it's vital to get fasteners properly pre-loaded so that the joint can have the full design strength:

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/basics2.htm

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Happened to me today too!

Luckily, I hadn't even gotten out of 2nd gear and was only 50 feet from my house. My 07' stock Bonneville clutch side footpeg snapped off at the frame.

See my post in Twins under "Considerations for a new [used] Bonneville...".

It was certainly a bit scary.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Bear in mind that this seems to happen most frequently with bikes which were dropped on that peg, hit something with it, or the mounting bolt was loose. No guarantees of course, and I'm probably jinxing myself. :eek:

·
Registered
6,005 Posts

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Assuming for a moment that would actually "fix" the issue..., would you then need clown shoes to shift and brake? ;)
I don't get the joke?

Anyway, if I got the Scrambler LH outrigger could I then do a drop in of any kind of footpeg I wanted? I'm also kind of confused how I'm supposed to actually fix the LH peg since the bolt broke at the nut. The bolt is still spot welder to the clovis attachment of the footrest.

So, am I kind of screwed into having to buy a Scrambler outrigger or find another Bonneville footpeg that isn't broken?

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
Plenty of cases, . . . . . . .

Plenty more where they came from...:) Some of us feel the design is a little lacking in strengh and integrity, on the other hand some will tell you that having applied their Finite Element Analysis skills or Material Science degrees, it cannot happen. Still does though:D

Well said Ernesto!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Swapping the outriggers would be a step in the right direction but it would NOT solve the issue. These pegs are just as, if not more, prone to breakage in the cast portion of the peg as they are in the bolt (bonnies) portion.

lambroving: Bear in mind that this seems to happen most frequently with bikes which were dropped on that peg, hit something with it, or the mounting bolt was loose. No guarantees of course, and I'm probably jinxing myself.
lambroving, I totally agree with you. However, I have dragged, bumped, dropped, bumped or hit the pegs on every bike I have ever owned. I am clumsy, I will admit that. I will also not deny that I try to drag my pegs on the roundabout near my house. I believe that pegs should be designed to withstand this type of inevitable (in my opinion) abuse, that is why they have steel nubs that contact the asphalt first, and why they are spring loaded.

In my opinion the design and material of these pegs is substandard at best, I want everyone to be safe, secure, and confident out there, please replace/strengthen your pegs now if you haven't already. . .

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
So, am I kind of screwed into having to buy a Scrambler outrigger or find another Bonneville footpeg that isn't broken?
We're still not sure if the Scrambler outriggers can be made to fit, RUPNOK is looking into this at the moment.

Bonza's solution involving removal of welded stud and substituting it for a high-strength Unbrako bolt looks good, but even so make sure the nuts are kept tight. He describes it here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/439002-05-bonneville-footpeg-sheared-while-riding-2.html#post4889026

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Swapping the outriggers would be a step in the right direction but it would NOT solve the issue. These pegs are just as, if not more, prone to breakage in the cast portion of the peg as they are in the bolt (bonnies) portion.
If the Scrambler's outriggers could be made to fit, then a better quality billet peg like the Oberons, for example, could solve both types of breakages, the clevis bolt and the cast peg, for good.

My additional two M6 bolts per clevis mod, plus Oberon pegs gives me peace of mind. I do stand on the pegs a lot. Details on post 8.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts