Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On September 26th of 2021 I lost my '99 Trophy when a car turned left in front of me in a right hand blind corner, over a double yellow, without blinkers and towards a dirt driveway. The result was a TBone. Link - TBoned a 2017 Ford with my '99 Trophy 900 | Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums It was one of the best things to happen to me all year! I kid but only partially. My bikes are older so I carry liability insurance with no collision coverage. My insurance bill on 6 bikes is under $500 annually so the savings over the years is significant. Anyway, because the car I tangled with was uninsured my own insurance company was forced to pay for the total loss of the '99 Trophy. The check is in the mail for $2800. In addition to that I salvaged a Corbin seat, gas tank, voltmeter, some plastics, battery, heated grips and best of all a set of Keihin carbs. The Keihins and Corbin were immediately installed on my '96 Trident finishing off that project nicely. No matter how I ultrasonically cleaned the Trident's Mikunis the idle circuit was overly lean. I had that bike running and starting OK but with 2 idle jet sizes larger than stock and 4 turns out on the fuel screw (there were no air leaks as per the starting fluid spray test. It's a mystery). In addition to the Trident, I have a 2000 TT600 so Triumph is well represented in my basement.

My replacement touring bike is a well used but sturdy '92 Honda ST1100 with ABS. It's full rehab is going well. I have only 150 miles or so on the ST because of winter but have to say the Trophy was every bit it's equal. The Trophy is lighter, nimbler and just as solid and comfy on the road. It's easier to work on and my guess is just as reliable over the long haul. That said, I'm not going to knock that Honda V4. It's understated but magnificent in it's own way.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T
Over here, it's a criminal offence to drive without insurance. Hope so over there. Someone could have been left in a wheelchair, without any chance of getting damages.
The penalty in West Virginia is modest and as low as $200 with a 30 day license suspension. Since no police were called to the accident there was no immediate trigger to a penalty. All paperwork was done through insurance companies. In Maryland where I reside the insurance company would have reported the lapse to the state.

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Rectangle

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
T

The penalty in West Virginia is modest and as low as $200 with a 30 day license suspension. Since no police were called to the accident there was no immediate trigger to a penalty. All paperwork was done through insurance companies. In Maryland where I reside the insurance company would have reported the lapse to the state.

View attachment 775019
Unbelievable. Someone with no assets may as well drive/ride without insurance. No point sueing someone with no assets. Fine less than insurance!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts