Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Always wanted a Triumph and now I have the chance.
A nearly perfect 03 Sprint ST with less than 2000 original miles, original owner for $4800.

Not really use to the sporty position as I ride a dual sport 07 V-Strom 1000 as my daily mount, and with my windshield I can ride with my face shield open, Not so on the sprint. Are there taller windshields that allow for that?

A few other questions:
Are there any problem areas with the 03's??
Can I raise up the handlebars?
What is a good longer wearing tire?
Where do you get your online parts?
I imagine the price is good with such low miles?
*If you could do it again would you buy again?

Thanks for any input help !

Attachments

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
First, welcome to the site!

I'll ask you to look at the 'new member' sticky for some rules and requests.

Lessee...

There are taller wind screens available. I prefer the stock one, as it puts a good flow of air right in the face of my helmet, giving me decent ventilation.

The only problem with the '03s is that they don't build them anymore. There have been a couple of recalls. You can check the VIN against the Triumph website to see if your bike is lacking.

You can raise the grips a couple of ways. You can put spacers under the mounts, or you can convert the front to a dogbone and bar system like most non-sport bikes use. Again, I prefer the stock location. I had spacers, but they put me at a less comfortable angle.

Try and do a search for tires, or 'tyres'. There are several favorites. I like Avon Storms. Just a caution: Don't pay any attention to DaveM. He goes through tires faster than guys racing in the Daytona 200.

Online parts are mostly found at one of the Triumph e-dealers or at BikeBandit. You won't save much money there over what you'd spend at your local Dealership. Make sure you look at the site maintained by Panther's Den. It contains a wealth of information about alternate sources for parts.

$4800 is a pretty good price for the bike.

*I had a 2000 model. When it was totaled, I bought my '03 as soon as I had healed up. My timing was good, too. They had a Military discount!

Good luck! You're going to love the bike!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
pushr0d,
Thank you for the gracious welcome and wealth of information. Getting a new bike is always a rush of new information to digest.

I will try to get most of my answers thru a combination of searches.. I am trying to formulate a good buying decision as I am a pretty good shade tree mechanic but with limited dealer resources nearby in the inland Pacific Northwest

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 02-04's would have to be the pick of the ST's IMO. The had all of the bugs (not that there were many) ironed out. The model is pretty well bulletproof.

The rear bearings need a little attention at services as some had some issues if not serviced.

Would I buy one again?? I won't sell this one because of that reason! I have 42,000 troublefree K's on it and love the power and torque that the triple gives.

You'll always have a stoopid grin on your face but you'll have to get used to that!

IMO Pilot Powers are a good choice on this bike and (again IMO) the BT 020's that are probably still on it perform like wooden hoops.

pushr0d has the rest of it nailed.

Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Upright Position

I know how you feel about the position just now.

I felt really uncomfortable on mine, when I went from my 600 Bandit to the ST, but give it a month, and allow your body to adjust before you splash out on bar risers (the longer brake lines) and the screen.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised after the month is up. You may find that doing some core muscle exercises will help, as you should be supporting your upper body with your trunk not your arms, and the ST will certainly reward a relaxed grip on the bars

Enjoy... sounds like you've found a gem!

Rexx

·
Registered
8,112 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Seconded, i went from a bandit 600 to the sprint and at first felt like i was on the front mudguard all the time, i struggled to hit the rear brake pedal.

2 months on and it feels natural to me, also i have noticed my back has improved it no longer gets as stiff. I used to have my gf walk on it for me but haven't had to since got the Sprint. Coincedence maybe but i dont think so.

I know how you feel about the position just now.

I felt really uncomfortable on mine, when I went from my 600 Bandit to the ST, but give it a month, and allow your body to adjust before you splash out on bar risers (the longer brake lines) and the screen.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised after the month is up. You may find that doing some core muscle exercises will help, as you should be supporting your upper body with your trunk not your arms, and the ST will certainly reward a relaxed grip on the bars

Enjoy... sounds like you've found a gem!

Rexx

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Try and do a search for tires, or 'tyres'. There are several favorites. I like Avon Storms. Just a caution: Don't pay any attention to DaveM. He goes through tires faster than guys racing in the Daytona 200.
Not quite sure I follow that logic Pushrod:rolleyes:

I thought 20 rears and 14 fronts in 62,000kms is normal:D

I have also tried more tyres on a Sprint than anyone else here.

The place to find the most about tyres on this forum is not by doing a "search"

There is a full tyre thread in the "Maintenance Tips and Tricks" subforum, this forum has full reviews on many tyres.

The link to the subforum is at the head of the Sprint forum main page.

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome mat out

Hi and welcome to the Sprint forum of TriumphRat.net usmctpdog:)

Don and I do ask all our new members to please read your forum stickies as it will help you know how we run the forum and you will have a better idea of some of our rules:)

So thanks in advance.

I have an '04 Sprint St with 62,000kms on and it runs like a top, Don (dolson) our original forum moderator here also has an '03, they are identical to the '04.

Great bike you will enjoy it I am sure.

Enjoy the forum.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Not quite sure I follow that logic Pushrod:rolleyes:

I thought 20 rears and 14 fronts in 62,000kms is normal:D
Well, let's see.

Barring punctures, you've been getting an average of 3100km (1926mi.) out of each back tire.

That means you are either hauling a LOT of groceries, or ride the wee out of the bike on fairly abrasive roads.

Or, you're running such sticky tires that you find you must stop on a regular basis to peel the wallabees and other small rodents off of them.

So, which is it?

;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
The other way to look at it is that DaveM puts the tyres to the limit and its fair to say that when pushing the tyre that's when you find out how capable it is and how well it works for the bike.

Well for everything barr long term wear :D

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Well, let's see.

Barring punctures, you've been getting an average of 3100km (1926mi.) out of each back tire.

That means you are either hauling a LOT of groceries, or ride the wee out of the bike on fairly abrasive roads.

Or, you're running such sticky tires that you find you must stop on a regular basis to peel the wallabees and other small rodents off of them.

So, which is it?

;)

Mmmm

well this could take a while:D

It never hauls groceries. But I am a big feller at 220lbs+ buck nekkid and I have done a lot of two up stuff.

I have had 3 punctures all in the rear, only one of them rendered the tyre useless (2" gash to the case in the first 200kms).

Abrasive roads, well it is a mixture of your average Queensland roads, some very smooth bitumen and some rough course abrasive bitumen. We have as a rule more smooth than course bitumen where I live, good in the dry not quite so good in the wet.

The tyres were:

BT 020 (i did not count these in the 20 and 14) removed prior to purchase at 4,000kms (was a demo bike).

Avon Azaros AV45 & AV46 x 1 pair
Michelin Pilot Power (single compound) several sets
Dunlop Qualifier 2 rears 1 front
Bridgestone BT 002 medium race compound 4 sets
Michelin Pilot race medium compound 4 sets
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT several sets

No not small rodents on my tyres but these;

[url=http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/showphoto.php/photo/282][/URL]
DaveM

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Original Poster:

That Sprint looks cherry and I would go for something like that. I had an 05 Sprint which I loved but it was the pre 05 Sprints and Triumphs that I fell inlove with and what made me start looking at the brand.

Would I own another Sprint? Yes absolutley but it would be an 02-04. I would also love an 04-06 Daytona 955i and a S3 02-04.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have owned 2 Sprints now a 2001(totaled her RIP) and now a 2004( 3800 miles,$4200 Thanks again Steve S!!!!)

After Sprint number 1 I have owned:
08 Tiger
05 FJR 1300 ABS
97 BMW R850R

Went back to a Sprint and that is were I am staying!!!
I have a set of Genmar risers for sale if you need them.

Perry

·
Registered
36 Posts
Surprised no on mentioned the only real issue with these bikes. The quick connect fuel fittings like to break and piss gasoline all over. Most bikes have had the recall done, but if you're smelling gas or find a puddle beneath the bike you'll need to get the fittings replaced. Do a quick search on this site to get more details.

That is the ONLY issue I've had with my 2004!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
*Now that is a piece of important info !! Thanks !

Continued good luck with your 04

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you haven't pulled the trigger on this bike yet you definitely should. I ride a 2002 RS version with the DSSA and it's awesome! There are a few differences between the two, yours will have 1" taller bars and full fairings (mine is a half fairing) But basically it's the same thing. I am currently considering the taller windshield and bar risers as I like to tour and find that I get a little too wet when it rains and my hands and arms get a little tired on longer jaunts. I think I'll go with the taller windshield first and keep doing sit ups. ;) This bike has great roll on power! I can be lugging along at 100km/hr and 4000 rpm in 6th gear and crank the throttle until it hits the stop and be doing 170km/hr in just a few seconds, if I really want the bike to get up and go I'll drop a gear and hammer on it! I don't think you'll be dissapointed with this bike :cool:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Welcome. Most of the points have been covered I jsut wanted to chime in as I have a 2001 which is very similar to your bike and have tried and rejected several of the "standard" changes.

First much of this depends on your height. I am 6'3".

Wind screen: I bought a double bubble and though it did move the air up to my forehead height I found the lack of a consistant airflow less comfortable. The stock hits me just at the top of my chest and is always the same, I lean into it and just relax.

Bar risers: at my height and with an ape-like reach I can sit up straight and sill reach the bars. That said its really a matter of becomming accustom to the riding position. Give yourself a month or two of steady riding befor changing anything.

I am 190lbs and the stock seat works great for me.

I have gotten 9k mi from my Michelin Pilot Power 2 thus far and there is still some tread on the rear and even more on the front. I will get them agian.

Enjoy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts