Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Wondering what experiences & opinions you may have on flyscreens for a Bonneville. I have just changed bikes to a 2103 Bonne and have really noticed how much the highway speeds hit me on the bike. Do you think a Triumph or Dart screen makes much of a difference? I plan to do some long(and short) miles on the bike.

Cheers,

Matt

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
When I first got my 2011 SE I thought the wind buffeting was just tolerable, OK on country roads but not OK on the freeway. I installed a Dart fly screen and rode with it for 10,000 miles. It seemed to help a little. At least it collected a lot of bugs that probably would have ended up on me, but I took it off for a cleaner look. Now that I've ridden the bike 20,000 miles I don't notice the wind buffeting anymore. Next time I go on a multi-thousand mile trip I'll put it back on, then take it off after the trip.

I actually like the wind buffeting, otherwise I'd be in the car.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I like the Dart Screen I added to my 12 Bonnie shortly
after purchase. It seems to smooth out the airflow around my head and shoulders.
A Buell Cyclone flyscreen also looks interesting. On my work bench is one I plan to paint and have ready for Spring.
Airflow should be about the same, just a different look.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Forchetto, Just read your extensive review. Thanks so much for the effort you put into it, makes buying a Dart screen so much simpler.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
One minor comment that I haven't noticed elsewhere regarding the Dart.

I find quite a bit of headlight glare catching the bottom of the flyscreen reflected back into my face when riding at night. I don't really ride at night that much, so it hasn't been much of an issue, and other's experiences may vary. At some point I may experiment with a bit of masking across the bottom inch or so to see if it helps.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm a big fan of flyscreens, have the factory one of my Thruxton and used one off a Buell M2 on my W650. But, in order for a flyscreen to work decently, you really need to change to a lower handlebar. You don't have to go to clip-ons ot clubmans, but something reasonably flat. Otherwise, you'll likely still be in the airstream that's bothering you.

Jim

Hi all,

Wondering what experiences & opinions you may have on flyscreens for a Bonneville. I have just changed bikes to a 2103 Bonne and have really noticed how much the highway speeds hit me on the bike. Do you think a Triumph or Dart screen makes much of a difference? I plan to do some long(and short) miles on the bike.

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had a BIG screen on my bike. I decided to change the big screen for a flyscreen and I love the flyscreen. Yes, I do feel some wind on my chest but it isn't a problem . . . in fact it props me up. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi all,

Cheers,

Matt
G'day Matt,
I have just picked up my 2013 Bonneville on the weekend and straight away have ordered the Triumph flyscreen. I have only gone for the Triumph screen for matching paint and looks.
My last bike was a Triumph America and I had a Dart screen fitted to it. Very good screen which was amazingly effective considering its small size fitted to an upright riding cruiser. I think you won't go wrong with either screen.
Happy riding.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On the advice of a friend, I got the Dart shortly after I started taking the freeway on my commute. He was right - it just takes a little of the wind off your chest, and makes 60+mph more bearable. Some days, if it's really windy, I wish I had opted for a larger screen. But usually it's just fine. I wouldn't recommend it for a lot of high-speed touring miles; but then again i don't think it's meant for that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll have to agree it's a nice addition and makes the freeway rides much more comfortable.

The only downside I've noticed is now I can hear all kinds of rattling around inside the headlight bucket. Pretty sure it was there before, just that the angle of the screen is perfect to reflect sound that was otherwise hidden...right to you ears.

Haven't taken the trim ring off to investigate for loose bits inside, but with winter setting in, it's certainly prime season for checking.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
There is no denying that the flyscreen with lowish bars improves the comfort of a Bonnie at speed. Big, baggy coats contribute to your wind resistance, too. Consider a jacket with a trim cut.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am 100% satisfied with my Dart flyscreen. At 5'11",it directs the airflow over my shoulders and helmet well and reduces wind buffeting enough to satisfy me. It looks good on the bike also. Does not disturb the classic lines of the Bonneville much.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.