Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of getting this:
http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-bonneville-dart-flyscreen.html

Anybody have a small flyscreen on their Bonnie? Does it make a difference in terms of cutting drag and wind? I actually prefer the way my bike looks without a flyscreen. But when I get on the freeway, Jeez Louise, the wind resistance is just plain nasty. I don't know if a little screen like this Dart model will help, but if it will then I'm sold.

Is British Customs the cheapest place to get a Dart? Any other windscreens that look more period than this clear Dart? I've got a Black 2009 Bonneville. Right now, I have a stone guard on it, and I don't want to take it off. Not sure if the Dart could go on, along with the Stone Guard. I paid good money for that stone guard and it was a bear to put on. It's not coming off, even for a flyscreen. I suppose another route on this problem would be to get a removable bigger screen and just put it on for long freeway trips. That seems like a hassle though.

p.s. Yeah, I know there have been other posts on this topic years ago. I would love some fresh opinions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the Thruxton screen on my bonnie (had to modify it a bit to allow for the turn signal stalks):

It has helped a bit with the wind on my chest at highway speeds, but I wouldn't say it's night and day different. I bought mine primarily for looks. Some may disagree but I don't find the small windscreen to be all that when it comes to wind reduction. Sure it helps some, but am I relying on it to cut the same amount as if it was a larger one, definitely not.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know what you mean about the wind speed on the highways. When I bought my bike, I got two windscreens with it, a Givi A34+D45 & a smaller fly screen, not sure the make and model, I haven't put it on yet. The Givi one is great for cold weather, I like the painted look of the one Bier has, so I might have to do something like that, but want to try out the smaller one that I have first to see how it works with the airflow. I spend more time on the backroads and smaller "highways" than "superslabs".

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The Dart flyscreen does a very nice job of keeping the wind off your torso, making highway speeds much more pleasant. It's well worth the investment, IMHO, and I think it'll mount up fairly well, stone guard or not.

If the thought of a clear screen on your black bike is putting you off, you could always paint it:

Profile view:

Hope this helps you decide.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I have the Triumph flyscreen and it works great.

Bought one of these but don't have it on my bike yet (not sure whose bike this is, maybe a forum member) Can't wait to try it out

·
Registered
2005 T100
2,694 Posts
I put a dart screen on my Bonneville , rode with it a couple months and then took it off. I looked at all the threads on Dart screens and opinions varied. Many said they loved it, many hated it for buffeting, some said it did nothing. It turns out all were right.

Let me share what I learned. First, at 6'-2" tall, I got the helmet buffetting real bad. If I tucked way in, or sat up straight I could get out of it. From reading a lot about windshields and farings, I learned its a bit of a black art. Many bikes that come standard with them are extensively modified. No one size fits all in any bike and many riders customize windshields. I might go further and say that from what i read, for the taller riders, its harder to get a good screen set up.

For me, the Dart Fly Screen didn't work. It just made my helmet really noisy. It may have taken some turbulence away from my chest. When I tucked way down I could really tell it was working. I assume for anyone about my height there is a good chance they will get the helmet turbulence.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Bonneville T100
2,296 Posts
Thanks, Sal

I put a dart screen on my Bonneville , rode with it a couple months and then took it off.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Sal. I was leaning towards getting one but concerned about the helmet-focused turbulence. I'm also 6' 2". I have my full faired Trophy. I am going to leave the Bonneville bare bones at least for next summer. I like the full body blast of air, probably because I don't have to do it all the time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the Dart flyscreen on my '05 Bonneville when I got it. I didnt think it would do much so I took it off.....man what a difference. It is amazing the amount of wind blast it directs away from my chest area ( I am 6' btw) IMHO the best screen to get . Doesnt look out of place, actually looks cool. A real keeper.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I put a dart screen on my Bonneville , rode with it a couple months and then took it off. I looked at all the threads on Dart screens and opinions varied. Many said they loved it, many hated it for buffeting, some said it did nothing. It turns out all were right.

Let me share what I learned. First, at 6'-2" tall, I got the helmet buffetting real bad. If I tucked way in, or sat up straight I could get out of it. From reading a lot about windshields and farings, I learned its a bit of a black art. Many bikes that come standard with them are extensively modified. No one size fits all in any bike and many riders customize windshields. I might go further and say that from what i read, for the taller riders, its harder to get a good screen set up.

For me, the Dart Fly Screen didn't work. It just made my helmet really noisy. It may have taken some turbulence away from my chest. When I tucked way down I could really tell it was working. I assume for anyone about my height there is a good chance they will get the helmet turbulence.
I tried the National and used it for a few months. Then I tried a Memphis Shades Hellcat (?) or something like that, and the buffeting noise was so bad I took it off and returned it to store immediately. Like Sal, I found that if I scrunched down it really was a lot better, but I'm only 5'7" so....

I ride it naked. I kinda give up. Unless you go with a parabellum or something big, I'm not sure what smaller shields are good for, except for the occasional rock or something that might fly up at ya. When I did have the National on, I sometimes felt a chin "uppercut" from the wind. Riding naked, the wind is just all over the place.

Also, there is another issue. The "sail" effect. I have a daily commute that is pretty windy in spring and summer, with lots of swirling wind. I could swear that with wind coming from different directions, the instability was worse with the screen than without....

I think it's tiresome to do a lot of comparative riding, but that's what you would have to do; have several different types and ride them one after the other...

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
I had the Triumph fly screen for several years, didn't notice that it did much either way, although at that time I liked the look of it. I took it off when I upgraded the headlight and haven't put it back since.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.