Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking about getting a new street triple,perhaps an R. Having previously owned an sv650 and a Speed Triple(was too tall for me), i know all about the windblast at 70mph, maybe its my helmet(shoei) but even with earplugs, it was loud, which has me considering an 09 ninja 650r instead of a street trip. Does the flyscreen and attatched visor actually do anything?

·
Registered
4 Posts
well I'm 5foot 10 and i've only got the cowl fitted... above legal speed limits VERY comfortable....... obviously not fairing comfortable but miles better than the bandit.

Might see if i can get a spin with one with the screen but even without it, it's pretty damn good....

and I have a shoei XR1000..... not massivley noisy but I wear plugs.....

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a fly-screen and visor on my bike. I'm using a scorpion EXO-400 and I have no problem with the wind really and I'm 6'4". The noise isn't too bad. I've had the bike up to 140MPH without going deaf and regular freeway speeds are just fine. I can hear my self wisper in the helmet. I also have the aero guard under the chin installed to pretty much end any air coming in between my chin and helmet.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's been noted by webbikeworld that the EXO 400/700 are comfortably more quiet when riding in a more upright position, so that will attest to the quietness. That's good to hear though, as I have an EXO 700 yet to be tested.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm 5'-9". For me, I found there to be just a little less wind buffeting without the flyscreen installed. But it still is not an issue, I could just tell there is a little more. I like the looks of the flyscreen so it's not an issue.
I have the Scorpion EXO-700 helmet as well. Excellent helmet, my only complaint, and it is nitpicking, is that it is a little heavy compared to my Shark or my wifes Arai. But it only cost me about $110 from www.sportbiketrackgear.com (was a close-out special). I also wear earplugs when riding more than 10 miles on the Interstate.
The wind buffeting on my Striple is nothing compared to getting blown around on my last bike, a Ninja250. That was my only complaint with it, the wind really knocked me around. Fairing design and rider size, as well as clothing fitment can have a big impact on felt wind. A fairing does not guarantee protection, it has to be designed well too.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm 5'6". I was hanging on to the handlebars for dear life at 110km/hr because the wind was lifting me up off the bike.:eek: I reluctantly bought the flyscreen and visor. I don't like the look of them, I like the naked bike better. But its winter and I ride the hwy a lot at this time of year because the back roads are not clean and dry.

I got the flyscreen about a week before the visor came in. The flyscreen moved the air up to about chest/shoulder level and stopped the 'lift' feeling and the visor now blows the air pretty much into my face/head. But I can ride over 110km/hr comfortably now without feeling like I'm coming off the bike.

My helmet is an Arai Quantum 2. Its pretty quiet. I do mean to try the earplugs, but I keep forgetting. I'm sure they'll make the ride more comfortable yet.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If I know I'm out planning to act a fool I'll wear ear plugs. Most of the time I don't.

I like the looks of the fly-screen and visor and it did a lot for me to get the wind up off my chest.

What gets interesting is the ability for the wind to throw the Street around. Driving down the free-way lately with the wind we've had it's a constant battle.

I'm not sure if there's anything out there that will fix that.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I'm 5'9" and also wear the EXO-700. I've got both the flyscreen and visor and I'm more than happy with how they work. I haven't ridden our bike without them installed, but I have to believe they do provide a decent amount of "protection". Not much buffeting and like others, I will wear ear plugs 90% of the time so noise isn't much of an issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cowl and flyscreen fitted from start

Am 5'6" and a bit, try and remember to put the plugs in (despite one of the quietest helmets going - Schubert R1), and now up to 135km/h(on the speedo) without feeling like I'll come off. However, I totally agree with the comments on being blown around by sidewinds - far more than my old bike. Much more than 140km/h I can't see being enjoyable though - I knew that was probable from the start so no grouching at all, it'll just make life challenging when accompanied my husband on his Sprint ST , feeling at ese at 160km/h:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Am thinking about getting a new street triple,perhaps an R. Having previously owned an sv650 and a Speed Triple(was too tall for me), i know all about the windblast at 70mph, maybe its my helmet(shoei) but even with earplugs, it was loud, which has me considering an 09 ninja 650r instead of a street trip. Does the flyscreen and attatched visor actually do anything?
Gopherbroak you might also want to try a Shoei whisper kit. You can get these to fit the XR-1000, Raid models and some of the older models. I have recently bought one and these make a huge difference to wind noise.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm 6'1" and have both the bug screen and visor on my R. I installed the bug screen first while I waited for the visor, and loved it. But with the visor installed I am getting way more buffetting directed at my head and neck. If I would do it over (too bad I drilled the holes for the visor) I would do bug screen only.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had both pieces on order. since they are on backorder I got my money back. i dont think wind is that bad. I ride my other bike with a windshield when i worry about that

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
At 5'8" I find the flyscreen/visor combo directs air straight at my head but takes the blast off my chest. For me though the bike looks unfinished without them though!
:eek:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well I rode my Street Triple for a few weeks before attaching my fly screen. I just wanted to see the difference. I would say that at a highway speed I saw 20-30% reduction in wind buffeting. Possibly a mild improvement on handling as well at those speeds as well (55-70) MPH. Before attaching the flyscreen at 70 MPH was a bit harsh. I also went for a ride one night and had to cross a very large bridge at 65 MPH with a 15 MPH wind gusting to 30MPH and I did all most feel like I was going to be pulled off the bike even with the flyscreen.

A few factors to consider. Wind resistance is related to speed and the cross section that the wind is hitting this would be what you feel when riding. The faster you go the greater the resistance. Also size of the rider may play a part. I am 6'4" and I am a bigger guy so that creates a bigger target so to speak trying to push its way through the air hence more force pushing back on me while riding.

In my opinion if you are riding in a windy location, considering freeway speeds for long periods of time it is worth the money. If your not sure you can always decide to buy it later.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't think size really has much to do with it, to be honest.

I'm just about 6'0" and 155 and I get tossed around at cruising freeway speeds (60-70mph). With wind gusts of 10mph+ combined with highway/freeway speeds I'm fighting to just stay in my lane and not get blown off my bike!

I'm assuming that just the visor will help take wind off my chest but I'm worried it might direct it towards my neck or my head and make it uncomfortable to ride. I'll find out in a week or so, I suppose!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Loose-fitting clothing and even the helmet shape can have a big impact on your aerodynamics. For those that are having issues with wind you might try experimenting with this.

Neanderthal

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Don't count on a wind screen to help you with turbulence caused by crosswinds (or trucks, etc.)! The screen is just another protrusion into the turbulent air to shake the front end around a bit more. The fly screen alone doesn't seem to be a problem, but as you increase the area, the does begin to affect things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
new visor

With an upcoming 200+ mile trip, I'm looking at the flyscreen/visor .... and getting a little confused. Are there two visors availible now? The triumph website shows a new more molded smoked visor, but my dealership doesn't seem to have that part number in its inventory... does everyone go through their dealer to ge this...and is it possible to install this on your own??? A few questions in one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are two visors - the standard dark one (not molded) and the new smoke colored one for the R (molded). Installation is fairly basic, but you will need to drill holes in the bugscreen in order to mount either visor.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts