Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I will be getting my flyscreen and bellypan this weekend and if the weather is OK I will ride my bike to pick them up. I am planning to install them myself before riding back home, so I'd greatly appreciate it if someone here could tell me what tools I will need to take. :)

Neanderthal

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob,
I posted this same question on a couple other ST3 boards and so far here is what I have:

7mm & 8mm sockets
small flat-head screwdriver
small phillips screwdriver
and various small allen-head wrenches

I plan to just take sockets from 6mm to 13mm and allen T-wrenches from 4mm to 10mm. Might take a pair of needle nose and regular pliers as well. And a small towel to sit things on. :)

Neanderthal

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you're getting the visor don't forget a drill and the appropriate bits. Since you'll be at the dealer in the first place why not pay a few extra bucks and have them install the items while you have a cup of coffee? Mine were shipped to me so I installed it all at home. Surely you could work out a decent deal with the guys that sold them to you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I took my striple to the dealer that I bought it from and they installed the bellypan, rear hugger and seat cowl all for FREE! Just talk to the guys and i'm sure they'll hook you up, especially if you bought the bike and the parts from them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
How did it go, Neanderthal? I am about to pick up my flyscreen and visor from the dealer this morning and install it...

I actually found a thread with pics on the Speed forum. I suppose the ST3 installation is more or less the same?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The weather ended up being too cold for the long ride so I just brought it home and installed it. Installation of the belly pan took about 10 minues tops and was straight-forward. There is a small plastic plug on the rh rear point that needs to unscrew out - that took me a little bit to figure out as I was trying to just pull it out. The instructions were not clear about that.

The flyscreen took about 25 minutes. I had to really pull hard on the instrument cluster backplate to get it off. The flyscreen to cluster mounting plate was a bit looser than wanted, so I used some tie-wrap to take out the slack on the mountin posts - you'll understand this when you see it. Triumph needs to re-visit this part of the design. My fix seems to work but the factory could do a better kob here.

You will need some metric allen wrenches in 6, 7, 8mm, a small flat-head screwdriver. Take the shortest allen wrenches you have as there is not much room to work around the cables when installing the flyscreen. You can tighten things up better when you get home.

BTW, my bellypan did not come with the stick-on heat shield patches outlined in the installation manual. I used some of that aluminun muffler tape as a temporary shield. I called the dealer Tuesday and they called Triumph USA - who said the shielding was not needed. I'd be interested to know if yours was packed.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ah...I had the same issue with the little plastic screws when installing my rear wheel hugger...I agree the instructions should have been more clear.

I actually just came in from installing my flyscreen. I agree that the back plate to instrument cluster is a bit looser than I would like. It seems as though a gasket like on the original instrument cluster back plate would have helped seal that small gap. When my visor comes in and I install it to the flyscreen, I am going to consider trying your method of making a better fit.

Picture

Dan

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I didn't get a chance to post this photo before you got started. As cheesy an idea as it is, it actually works pretty darn well. I just took a couple of 2" long sections of bread ties and wound them tightly into the gaps, then trimmed them.

Nice ST3 you got there! :)

Neanderthal

·
Registered
483 Posts
...BTW, my bellypan did not come with the stick-on heat shield patches outlined in the installation manual. I used some of that aluminun muffler tape as a temporary shield. I called the dealer Tuesday and they called Triumph USA - who said the shielding was not needed. I'd be interested to know if yours was packed.

Neanderthal
My belly pan didn't have the heat shield material shipped with it either. I went to my local dealer and he turned me on to some spare shielding he had laying around in the shop. Triumph may say you don't need it, but I feel better knowing there's something between my exhaust and the pan. It does get awfully hot when sitting at lights, or running hard in the summer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Neanderthal

Had the same issue of loose pod after attaching the flyscreen. Believe you changed to 5/16 x 1/16 rubber seals in another thread. Did same for mine today, worked like a champ. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did the install on both the belly pan and visor myself. Pretty simple install with good instructions.

It makes a good looking machine even more eye catching.

The heat tape for the belly pan was in the package but even with the amount they provide it looks like running another strip down the middle would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi sorry this has already been asked but I can’t find a answer. I’ve just brought a triumph street triple R 2010 I’ve just brought the triumph accessory kit. I just wondered where I fit the heat proof tape to the belly pan? As there’s no instructions. Cheers
Did the install on both the belly pan and visor myself. Pretty simple install with good instructions.

It makes a good looking machine even more eye catching.

The heat tape for the belly pan was in the package but even with the amount they provide it looks like running another strip down the middle would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
164 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts