Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, newbie here. Shopping for a Bonneville and reading up in this and the water cooled forum. I read a posters comment that the new Street Twin and T120 have a heavier fly wheel. Does the T100 have a light or heavy fly wheel?

And is it more desirable or recommended to get a Bonneville, pre 2006 I think, made in England?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
As far as I know there's no discernible difference in quality or build between Hinckley and Thailand. The main difference will be engine size and whether you want carbs or EFI. The engine was upped from 790 to 865 in 2007, and then EFI was introduced in 2008. Now in 2016 a completely new line-up. You'll get plenty of opinion on why each of the above configs are the best :)

No idea on the flywheels, sorry, but it I've had a go at riding most of the above configs, including the new models. Not sure I noticed any difference from that perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Also the tanks got bigger with EFI. I do prefer my smaller tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,492 Posts
Yeah, physically bigger but same capacity. And with metal badges attached. My next bike, when this one gets worn out and used up, my likely be a low-mileage 2007. Seems boring, and like I should try something different. And I might, if I find something out that really speaks to me. Current Bonnie should run another 80k though, so I have time.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Hello, newbie here. Shopping for a Bonneville and reading up in this and the water cooled forum. I read a posters comment that the new Street Twin and T120 have a heavier fly wheel. Does the T100 have a light or heavy fly wheel?

And is it more desirable or recommended to get a Bonneville, pre 2006 I think, made in England?

Thanks.
I've had both a Hinckley built T100 and a Thai built T100. To be perfectly honest the Thai bike has had fewer problems.

Now engine sizes changes all over the place in the past. Starting in My05 the T100's had 865's. Where as the base Bonnie's had 790's.

The Bonneville Blacks also had 865's ( I believe) .

There is no real concern for reliability all Bonnie's are as simple as a brick and just as reliable.

Buy one, ride it and enjoy it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts