Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to order a flyscreen for my T-100. I'm torn between National Cycles and the Dart..any advice?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I like my dart. I don't think fly screens are too helpful with the wind so I would base your decision on looks unless someone has a good reason to avoid one of them. That's how I decided. If you get a Dart put a couple layers of black electricians tape on your headlight brackets where the fly screen brackets hit. You wont notice it at all and it will save the paint. There is a post on here about a set of modified brackets that alleviate the problem.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just put on a nat'l cycle flyscreen i got from amazon (had an x-mas gift gift cert), It looks good and knocks some of the wind down and also keeps the gauges clean. Heres a front view shot. If you're tall (I'm 6'2) it does knock some wind down depending on the pitch,

·
Registered
142 Posts
screens

well i have one of each, and neither one is worth a ---- they look better than they perform ,,now if they were just 2 or 3 inches taller , then ya might have something

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dart Fly screen

I have the dart and love it. It keeps the heavy wind off of my chest at higher speeds, say 50-80mph. At lower speeds it doesn't have much effect, like riding a naked bike. Get enough air around the head to have the motorcyling effect without being pushed off of the bike by air pressure. To each his own, depends on your desires. If you want total wind block, the Dart or any small screen will not do it. IMO, it's a great help without a total wall in front of you.

Ride smart and ride safe.

BB

·
Registered
761 Posts
The dart keeps wind pressure off the chest at speed. Every time I get on a buds' bike with a screen they all buffet at the head to some degree. Very distracting IMO. I'd think 2-3 inchs more would slam your head around like crazy.
It took 1/2 a day of adjusting to get the dart in the sweet spot.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Probably a little too low rent for you Bonnie types:D,but here's my flyscreen.
Total cost: About 6 bucks.

Vintage racing number plate & zip ties= Scrambler cred!

It works too.It's a little taller and wider than most of the commercially available
ones.The wind hits you at just below the chin,and stays off your chest at highway
speeds.I think it makes a big difference in comfort on the highway. You can tuck down
behind it into a pocket of clean air,and even at over the Ton,it creates a little
bubble of relatively still air. It could easily be trimmed.I cut about an inch semi-circle
out of the bottom to match the curve of the headlight shell.It's easy to adjust the
pitch too.Just twist it up or down.

I'm going to work on some more permanent mounts one of these days.:rolleyes:
:beerchug:
Cheers!
Bruce

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm running the Dart on my bike. I'm very happy with the difference it made. I'm freakishly huge at 6'4" and 240 pounds. With "M" bars making me lean forward, the Dart does the trick . Between the bars and screen, no buffeting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not that I've tried another to compare it to, but I like my Dart. I've been riding lately in this 35-40F weather here in NH and it helps. No buffeting either.

There MUST be a RAT member out there somewhere with access to a wind tunnel, 12 different types of windscreens and digital camera who will post a comparison!

·
Registered
101 Posts
2WDT100, I have the standard Triumph flyscreen on my 1WDT100.

I am very happy with it and find it directs the wind away from my upper body and onto my helmet. I still get some wind on my shoulders but not too much to be concerned about.

I'm 1.8m tall and always wear a full faced helmet. There is some bobbing due to the wind over my helmet but this serves to be good exercise in strengthening my neck muscles :)

Wearing an open faced helmet might lead to a different opinion.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up getting tha National Cycle flyscreen. It took about 20 minutes to put it on yesterday and go for a ride. There was no difference in the ride until I hit 60 mph then there was a noticable lack of wind hitting my chest...just what I was looking for! Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts