Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - maybe nice to lighten things up a bit.
Any of you Fly Fish?
I have been a fisherman nearly all my life. But actually fly fishing is new to me. My dad was a fly fisherman when we lived here in the Black Hills when I was a kid but I never was old enough to try it.
So, I am giving it a go with my dads fly fishing gear. Read a few books and off I go. First trial run I had the fly stuck in trees and bushes more than it was in the water. But I had a good practice time and started getting much better casting and getting the fly where I wanted it by the time I called it a day. Went out again & other than a few tree limb bites I kept it in the creek much better. Sure enough I got a fish - Not a trout like I was expecting but a bass. The creek I was fishing comes from Sheridan lake which has bass, trout and many other fish so it was not a total surprise.
I found creek fly fishing to be very relaxing and enjoyable. It is a completely different type of fishing than the bass fishing from a boat I have done all my life. Pretty cool catching a fish with my dads hand tied fly's & gear. He would have been happy.
But damn, that little thin leader line is a bastard to work with!

Just wondered if there were some of the gang that also fly fish?

·
Registered
234 Posts
For yrs. was avid fly fisher, then kids and have not wet a line in 18 yrs. funny you start this topic as I was just perusing the internet to upgrade my older equipment. Going to go with a nice 4wt. gonna dust off my vice later this week and jump rite back into it, don't let that #8 tippet get to ya, you'll be able to push it through the eyelet at dawn before you know. Enjoy your time on the stream, that"s what its all about

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
My dad lived to fish, like you Back2-2 my dad had a some fly fishing equipment, He always took us fishing when we were young but I had no patience for it then, he died when I was 11 so I never grew out of my impatience in time to learn anything from him. As I approach retirement I think about how I will spend some time trying my luck at fly fishing. It looks relaxing and it's gotta beat golf! Got a lot of the equipment but not sure how to use it, probably something on youtube to help.

·
Super Moderator
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent!
I found some good books at the library. I found it pretty easy to learn to cast from the books. Just have to not try and cast as you would a normal fishing rod. The small light line is a bear but otherwise no to tough to get the hang of it.
I need to get the equipment for tying fly's. After my dad passed away my sister gave my dads fly tying stuff away so it's gone. Already found a turkey feather to use for a fly.
Next plan is to give it a go from a kayak at one on the lakes.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Excellent!
I found some good books at the library. I found it pretty easy to learn to cast from the books. Just have to not try and cast as you would a normal fishing rod. The small light line is a bear but otherwise no to tough to get the hang of it.
I need to get the equipment for tying fly's. After my dad passed away my sister gave my dads fly tying stuff away so it's gone. Already found a turkey feather to use for a fly.
Next plan is to give it a go from a kayak at one on the lakes.
I go out to Colorado each year to ride bicycle and motorcycles, I usually stop at Basalt/Aspen area for a day or so to visit a friend, the Frying Pan stream/river(not sure which it is) is supposed to be some of the best fly fishing in the US, it certainly draws the people in, while having breakfast I'll usually talk to guys from as far away as Georgia, Florida.......and they say that they go there each year for the fly fishing. While bicycling I'll see the stream littered with fishermen, I'll have to take some equipment along and give it a try, like i say, it just seams so relaxing, probably frustrating at times to but.........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fly fisherman here as well (located in Southern New Jersey, USA). Mostly lakes around me so for trout I go to PA, NY, northern NJ or my favorite VT. Have a four piece rod that fits in the top box on my 2003 Sprint ST. Can tie some flies but mostly buy them locally from wherever I’m fishing which is also a good way to get some ‘local knowledge’.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Though I've been fishing all my life, it wasn't until 2 yrs ago that I decided to try fly fishing. I got a rig and several flies and off I went. Like Back2-2, i spent much time in the trees and hung up before sorta getting the hang of it. I can see that in an open stream, it would be a blast but around my part of Lousiana, there aren't many places that lend themselves well to casting a fly. I know a few around here who use them to catch specks and reds in the coastal marsh but those are too heavy for my light set-up. I did get up to Arkansas to fish the White river and caught one nice rainbow trout before grabbing my other rod and reel. Kudos to you all who have mastered it and have the patience.

·
Super Moderator
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are two books I found to be very informative. For a newbie like myself anyway.
The L.L. Bean Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing and Fly Fishing Strategies & Tactics, by The Freshwater Angler company.
I checked them out from the library and then bought them both on ebay for next to nothing.
Today is of to the library to look for books with more in depth info. on fly tying and tying equipment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
And for inspiration be sure to watch ‘A River Runs Through It’. Great film in addition to the fly fishing scenes.

·
Super Moderator
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And for inspiration be sure to watch ‘A River Runs Through It’. Great film in addition to the fly fishing scenes.
Got it and picked up another one next to it - "The River Why" Looks like a fly fisherman story.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Degenerate Fly Fisherman here. Always liked to fish since a little kid and in 20's-30's had a bass boat and hit the lake several times a week in the evenings. Married a girl whose family always went to Colorado for a couple of weeks in the summer and fly fished. My son made his first trip there when he was 2 months old and he grew up fly fishing. I stayed in Texas and finally when I was in my mid 40's she talked me into driving up and staying at the cabin with them for a week. First time I caught a big rainbow on a dry fly I was hooked. Came home and started buying various weight fly rods and reels and traded that bass boat for ski boat. I fly fish down here for bass, catfish, carp...whatever. She created a monster and now we have a place high on the headwaters of the Rio Grande and I get in the river in the morning and fish all day covering about a 2 mile stretch of water wading all day. Haven't fished with a bait casting reel or a spinning reel since that first trip up there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts