Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys hope someone can help me I have access to some mobile super 3000 XE 5 W30 now question is can I use this to flush my bike out before refilling with the recommend oil.

I would only run the bike with the mobile oil for 5 minutes or so just to remove any crud etc remaining in the engine then drop the oil and replace filter and put fresh oil in

Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's a car oil, which normally aren't a good idea for bikes because they don't play well with wet clutches. Still, if you drain and refill with motorcycle oil I can't imagine it would
hurt anything. But, why bother? If you change your oil regularly, there won't be any "crud" in the engine. That's what detergent oil and filters are for: they keep deposits from
accumulating. You'd be better off just changing your oil more often if you feel it's necessary.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
No reason to 'flush' your engine, unless the oil in it is REALLY foul.

Just go for a quick ride to get the engine up to operating temperature, then drain the oil and remove the filter. If you can, leave it to drain for a while.

Reinstall the drain plug (not too tight!) with a new (or serviceable used) crush washer, install the filter and put in the 'proper' oil.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
5W-30 is almost always an "EC" or "Energy Conserving" oil, which means it's bad for wet clutches like in bikes. It might not hurt anything, but I certainly wouldn't want it in my bike at all; it's full of stuff that's probably worse than whatever you're trying to flush.

As Pushr0d says, just warming it up before dumping it is probably plenty.

If the oil in there is really, really, nasty, and you really need to flush it, just about any diesel oil would do.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts