Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I bought my black, chromed-out Thunderbird 1600 last August, and have been loving it, but I just can't shake the strangeness of the floorboards and heel/ toe shifter that were pre-installed on my floor model bike. They threw in the boards, wide handlebars, and other mods for "free," since they were already on the bike, so I think my bargain hunter mode at the time overpowered my inexperience with the whole floorboard thang.

Now, full disclosure, this is my first (and last?) cruiser, so the concept of sitting back with more forward controls was foreign to me from the get-go, and the floorboards and shifter make me feel more like a passenger than a rider. I've tried to love them, but I feel like I'm riding a boat, and afraid to scrape in turns to boot.

My question: should I switch back to stock pegs (or upgrades) over the floorboards and essentially "throw away" those add-ons? I'm sure labor and such will put me in the hole, but perhaps I can make a trade with the dealer for the little used floorboards in exchange for the switch. Also, I think I like the wide handlebars (beach bars), but I'm definitely not a fan of their look.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?

Thank you Mucho

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Switch with someone here ! I'm sure there are plenty of new owners every day signing up, some of which will be buying them. I hate floorboards too. they just don't feel right at all to me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeap. I had floorboards on my Kawi Vulcan and never did get used to them. Seems like people either like them or they don't. A lot of people DO like them so I'm sure you won't have a problem swapping them for a proper set of pegs!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I really like Kuryakyn Swing wing pegs. Had them on my Suzuki M50 and I'm putting them on my bird. they fold out so you stretch your legs a bit and flare out your feet (which I like) and if you want a more standard peg position, you just fold them back in. I've never tried floorboards and I'm pretty sure I don't want to as it seems like your stuck with that flat foot position. With the swingwings you have some easy position choice...Cheers!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I prefer floorboards to pegs but dislike a heel shifter set-up.
When I had a heel shifter I never used it. Can you remove the heel shifter to see if you like it any better?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I certainly meant no offense to those who like floorboards, to each his own, but they're just no my cup of tea. I think if I did more long trips/ touring, I would appreciate them more.

I'm also at odds with the the heel shifter. I have to force myself to use it and/ or forget about it. Maybe I could have it removed at the very least to see if the floorboards are better without it.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I never cared for the florboads, much like the stock pegs you can't adjust them to your particular riding style/posture. I replaced the stock pegs with Kuryakyn Dually ISO Pegs and they are great. A buddy has the switchblade pegs on his Harley and they are good as well since you can have tradiltional pegs then a little extra on long trips.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that the boards are not working out for you. If you decide to sell them PM me. I might be interested in taking them off your hands.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the floor boards as well and I love mine. I never use the heel shifter and wouldn't mind getting rid of it.
What I don't like is the passenger floor boards. When I'm walking my bike back into a parking space, they hit the back of my calves. The things we put up with for the mis’sus.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like the floorboards OK - but I had to remove the heel shifter. That opened it up and made it comfortable. I was only using it to shift to neutral anyway.

I used to use the heel shifter on my Volusia all the time, but that was mostly because the toe shifter was too low and my toe barely slid under it. No such prob on the bird.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Go with the Kuryakyn Swingwings, they are more comfortable than the pegs. The wife likes the wider footprint. My America has boards but only because the pegs bothered my back slightly.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've got the boards and wouldn't be without them. They allow me to change my feet position when I want to and I can take some weight off my butt when I see that I am about to hit a bump that can't be avoided. Not easy to do with the pegs. I did remove the heel lever as it was just getting in the way and I don't really see the point in them anyway. I tried the pegs on a demo model but couldn't get comfortable with the gear shift lever and preferred the sitting position with the boards, bit more up-right and more natural angles for hips and knees.

In the end though, to each his own...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm interested in the floorboards - I'm finding I do a lot more long rides than short rides and start hunting for a more comfortable position, so put me 3rd in line to buy them off you. As for the toe shifter - it sits on a splined shaft. Removal of the single retaining screw allows you to remove the toe shifter and adjust it up or down one spline at a time. Mine was one cog too low and I had to kind of wiggle my toe out each time after an upshift. The floor boards have lots of travel - not as much as the pegs I don't think - but you can scrape and beyond quite a bit before you have to worry about lifting and pivoting the bike.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just hunting around for feedback on the heel shifter. I feel the same as most here. The heel shifter is in an odd position and hard to use. Rocking my foot up on my toes to heel shift is too awkward for me. I've seen other bikes where the heel shifter is way at the back of the floorboard. Looks easier to use, but I've never ridden one with that kind of setup.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I put a set of boards on my bike now so you can cross me off the list. I'm still trying to get used to them. I wish there was some adjustment. My knees are now higher up than before, which while expected is a bit worse than I thought it would be. I wish I could lower these things about an inch. I may have to have some custom mounting brackets made up at some point.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts