Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who gets flooded every night with dozens of SPAM and Chinese (no offense if it's not Chineese, but that's what it looks to me)
posts? When you click on them or the OP's name (what I did, in the beginning, a few weeks ago - I know :( :eek:o_O shouldn't have, but thoroughly checked my computer later for any viruses(y)) you get this "Ooops, something went wrong" or similar response. Last night I got over 40 of them in "Air Cooled Twins Talk" as well as in "Air Cooled Twins Technical Talk". Isn't there anything the moderators should/could do about it?
Here are some screenshots about these scam posts. All about either "universities" or "medications".....

fake

·
Driftless Admin
11,492 Posts
The moderators delete these spam posts as fast as we find them. The accounts creating them are banned and marked as a spam accounts. They tend to post overnight, and I generally clean them up first thing in the morning.

As a volunteer admin/moderator of the site, I have no abilities to implement a more pro-active approach. The site owners would have to do that, and indeed already have several spam filters in place which do block some spam accounts before they are created. So, it could be worse.

The site owners are not very good at managing those spam filters, there are too many false positives and they unnecessarily block some postings by new members. But, they are what they are and I have no ability to modify them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, Thanks @BonnieBlack, fair enough and I certainly do appreciate all the volunteer work you guys/moderators do. (y)Good luck to all of us with all that stuff that's flooding the world and the US from far East right now :sick::alien::eek: - I am very well aware of the fact that are much more important things going on right now than my 40+ per night SPAM emails

·
Driftless Admin
11,492 Posts
I missed the part about the emails you are getting, you must be subscribed to receive an email whenever a new discussion is started. You could turn that off if you like. You should be able to turn that off in Account Settings > Preferences at https://www.triumphrat.net/account/preferences, but I don't really see where that would be turned on.

Are you also getting PMs/converstations with these spam messages, or do you think the emails are notifying you of new threads/discussions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have that turned on and yes, I think all of them are notifications of a new thread/discussion. If you look at the screenshots I took and posted above, they all say "Somebody" posted a new discussion to a forum I'm following. No worries, I'll watch it another night and if it gets worse, I just turn the email subscription off. Thanks again and always keep the shiny side up (assuming you, being in WI, you're not riding right now, at least not motorcycles :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good evening, Got another batch of 14 or 15 SPAM emails - see screenshots below. It looks to me like the Chinese hacked your server and are sending these emails out from an email address "[email protected]". I couldn't see that on my iPhone, but on my computer, it's showing the sender address. Just some more food for thought to tell the owners of the website..... :cool:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Good evening, Got another batch of 14 or 15 SPAM emails - see screenshots below. It looks to me like the Chinese hacked your server and are sending these emails out from an email address "[email protected]". I couldn't see that on my iPhone, but on my computer, it's showing the sender address. Just some more food for thought to tell the owners of the website..... :cool:
View attachment 719396

View attachment 719393
Its not spam. Thats what they love to eat for breakfast in Hawaii. This is a recipe for combination fried rice and Shrimp in Lobster sauce.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got another 55 of them to the "Air Cooled Twins Technical Talk" last night between 2:40 and 2:49 AM - I'm opting out of getting these notifications for new posts, way too annoying

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not only inconvenient, if you translate these messages you see that they are sent from blood sucking parasites who are preying on the vulnerable. Lowest of the low.

·
Administrator
690 Posts
@Halfpint - A spam filter rule that puts first posts containing a chinese character into the Approval queue would help some. We are getting quite a bit of this spam.
We are working on something like this. We've tested a few on some other sites but these posters manage to adapt faster than we can quell them. I think we have a full fix in the works, but more information will come out as I get it and as it clears testing stages. :)

-Gerrit

·
Driftless Admin
11,492 Posts
We are working on something like this. We've tested a few on some other sites but these posters manage to adapt faster than we can quell them. I think we have a full fix in the works, but more information will come out as I get it and as it clears testing stages. :)

-Gerrit
You guys aren't responsive enough to be helpful with this. It now takes you two weeks to respond to a post around here, if you respond, and simple fixes like the Showcase formatting take you 3 months to resolve. The current spam trigger rules are broken, and new ones have not been added.

This most recent onslaught started nearly a month ago, and you've done nothing to be helpful.

I request that you allow the volunteer Site Administrators to create and edit spam trigger rules on their sites. We are able to respond to changes in the spammer's behaviors far faster than you can.

·
Driftless Admin
11,492 Posts

-Gerrit
You guys aren't responsive enough to be helpful with this. It now takes you two weeks to respond to a post around here, if you respond, and simple fixes like the Showcase formatting take you 3 months to resolve. The current spam trigger rules are broken, and new ones have not been added.

This most recent onslaught started nearly a month ago, and you've done nothing to be helpful.

I request that you allow the volunteer Site Administrators to create and edit spam trigger rules on their sites. We are able to respond to changes in the spammer's behaviors far faster than you can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts